What Raspberry Pi for Tilt

That is awesome. I going to order one today. Might not be in by my next brew but I'm already excited!

I have the iSpindel, a less expensive tilt competitor. However you have to build it yourself, so that is the hard part of it. I already knew ow to solder and had the equipment. By the time you order the parts and put it together you can build three for roughly the same $$ as the tilt. Some of the parts came from overseas and took 5-6 weeks to arrive. It is not a quick project. However the tilt is smaller and sexier. I hear they fit into glass carboys I doubt the ispindel will fit. the iSpindel is wifi and the tilt is bluetooth. So I don't need a phone or other device to upload the stats to BrewersFriend, it does it all by itself.

Just wanted you to know about the choices before you bought one.

I have the iSpindel, a less expensive tilt competitor. However you have to build it yourself, so that is the hard part of it. I already knew ow to solder and had the equipment. By the time you order the parts and put it together you can build three for roughly the same $$ as the tilt. Some of the parts came from overseas and took 5-6 weeks to arrive. It is not a quick project. However the tilt is smaller and sexier. I hear they fit into glass carboys I doubt the ispindel will fit. the iSpindel is wifi and the tilt is bluetooth. So I don't need a phone or other device to upload the stats to BrewersFriend, it does it all by itself.

The ispindel has a solid following for sure. Especially outside the US. I've considered that option myself, but I like taking projects like that on.

Do you folks know if the version 3 is the latest tilt? I'm thinking of getting one and don't want to buy an obsolete version.

Thank you for that! I do like saving money and part of the attraction to home brewing is the fiddle farting around I can do to "make" equipment.

Hi folks,

Sorry for posting another noob question.

I have the Tilt and want to setup with a Pi but have no idea about this stuff.

Please can anyone advise me what Pi i need to buy on Amazon UK?

THanks

I'm using a Raspberry Pi Zero W (the small one with Wifi and Bluetooth) to talk to the Tilt and upload the data. Works great with the Tilt's official Tilt Pi OS. The bigger versions are overkill for the purpose, which is to just upload a couple of bytes every 15 minutes...

I use a Tilt with the Raspberry Pi Zero W (£9.80)- This is the cheapest Pi with a Wifi and Bluetooth built in.
All you need is a power supply (I use an old Blackberry phone charger) and a mini HDMI plug (£2.50) and a case (£5).
Total cost £17.30 + postage. I got mine from the Pi Hut - but they are out of stock at the moment.
Add an old monitor from a defunct PC and you have a good system that can handle up to 8 Tilts (hence the different Tilt colours).
Pi-Zero-W-1_600x.jpg

Back