Blonde Stout? Flavorings? Seasonings? Ingredient Purist?

BrewPatgonia

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello All, First of all... to get this out of the way, yes... I'm a Beer Snob, Coffee Snob.
I prefer to make my beers without seasonings, additions, etc. And I like the taste of them that way.
But.....
I do attend Beer Festivals and sample the offerings which are prepared... The majority, when they state a flavor...(raspberry, chocolate, clove, etc...), are very much in your face flavors. I prefer to have to find the flavor, more modesty or complex.
Everyone has their own preferences, and I respect that ... so I don't critique the beers I sample or taste (unless asked to do so)

Now, I like everything from Pilsners to Imperial Stouts.
and being where I am, and a home brewer.. I don't get out to taste commercial beers much... so I am asking for some input from you all, whom may have tasted the newer beers, and my question is concerning the 'Golden Stouts'.

What is your impression and idea of the 'Light colored' stouts?

considering that I brew as well as I roast my own coffee.... it should be a natural for me to make this 'style'... but I am hesitant to do so just because of my preference of trying to stay Purist to the ingredients.... Barley, Wheat, etc..
I am considering making one to see what I think, but am welcoming others input on the subject prior to jumping in with both feet..
Thanks a lot to you all!! (in advance)

Sorry, I have never had a blonde stout, having trouble imagining what it may taste like

@Iliff Avenue Brewhouse just brewed a Golden Stout and I believe he said it came out well. Hopefully he can chime in with some words of wisdom.

I think your idea of adding coffee is a great one. Please keep us posted if this takes flight. Good Luck!

You get a surprisingly low colour increase by just cold steeping whole beans post primary. I think people also do the same with cacoa nibs for golden stouts, but I haven't played around with that.

And I'm told if I go to the right parts of Patagonia I'll be able to use Dai gwrw os gwelwch yn dda to order a couple of beers. Though that's about 50% of the Welsh I remember from the grandparents.

Mine is still on tap and it has been surprisingly really good and I admittedly didn’t use good coffee. Let me know if you want me to post my recipe or provide any tips from my perspective. This was a novelty type beer that I thought I would give a go and was pleasantly surprised.

You get a surprisingly low colour increase by just cold steeping whole beans post primary. I think people also do the same with cacoa nibs for golden stouts, but I haven't played around with that.

And I'm told if I go to the right parts of Patagonia I'll be able to use Dai gwrw os gwelwch yn dda to order a couple of beers. Though that's about 50% of the Welsh I remember from the grandparents.

It's amazing the things I learn on this forum! At first I was like, "What the heck is Mark talking about? Doesn't he know that Patagonia and Wales are an ocean and a hemisphere apart?". Then I thought that Mark is a pretty bright guy and is not likely to make such a mistake. So, I went to the font of all knowledge...Google and found: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patagonian_Welsh
The Welsh people first arrived in Patagonia in 1865. They had migrated to protect their native Welsh culture and language, which they considered to be threatened in their native Wales.

Fascinating!

It's amazing the things I learn on this forum! At first I was like, "What the heck is Mark talking about? Doesn't he know that Patagonia and Wales are an ocean and a hemisphere apart?". Then I thought that Mark is a pretty bright guy and is not likely to make such a mistake. So, I went to the font of all knowledge...Google and found: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patagonian_Welsh
The Welsh people first arrived in Patagonia in 1865. They had migrated to protect their native Welsh culture and language, which they considered to be threatened in their native Wales.

Fascinating!
Spokian Eybrow even...

Spokian Eybrow even...
I actually did consider adding this to that post :D
upload_2020-6-6_21-9-21.png

Mine is still on tap and it has been surprisingly really good and I admittedly didn’t use good coffee. Let me know if you want me to post my recipe or provide any tips from my perspective. This was a novelty type beer that I thought I would give a go and was pleasantly surprised.
Iliff, I would definitely appreciate your advice, input and recipe.

Hey ya,
if you (or anyone else) find yourself in this part of the world... whichever language you order your beer in... I'm sure I'll figure out enough of what is being said to pull several pints out of the dusty shelves and share some good company.:)

Hey ya,
if you (or anyone else) find yourself in this part of the world... whichever language you order your beer in... I'm sure I'll figure out enough of what is being said to pull several pints out of the dusty shelves and share some good company.:)
And the people said amen

I read a travel book by a girl from the U.S who went to Wales to learn Welsh, but because everyone there was bilingual they just started using English whenever she started struggling. She decided to try and find Welsh speakers without English and had the most success in Patagonia - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Travels-Old-Tongue-Touring-Speaking/dp/000655010X
Well I'll be thanks Mark it truly is a wealth of knowledge this brewing Forum I rekon Patagonia has moved up my to go visit list for sure.
My old man's Welsh they sound like they've had one to many brews when speaking Welsh:confused:.

decided to make an attempt to get an idea about the taste....prepared a little coffee with some cacao in it and drinking my newest ale while adding small amounts of the coffee to the glass prior to filling. at 1ml to 150 ml of ale, the taste was hidden but could be found with some careful tasting. at 2ml to 150 ml of ale, the taste was much more apparent but not in your face. I will continue playing with this over the next days to see what I think. true, the color contribution is minimal and still an orange golden color. I didn't try vanilla, but will add this to the mix also over the next few days. Luckily, my ale is almost identical to the recipe I would be using...base of Pilsner, with Oats added... just that the oats are not toasted, which will make a difference also. anyway, enjoying sampling and having to make it through the dirty work... being the guinea pig. ;)

Back