What are you reading? (Brewing related)

That one's quite deep. Not much of great interest to homebrewers, the book is targeted toward large producers of German pilsner, but definitely worth a read.
I've just started reading it, but already understand that this book is good. Thanks for your reply!

The Secrets of Master Brewers: Techniques, Traditions and Homebrew Recipes for 26 of the World's Classic Beer Styles

Whew - That's a mouthful but what a cool book! It has just enough "history" that I don't get board reading it and a bunch of cool techniques and recipes for each style.
The techniques and recipes are created from and by some of the major and even minor breweries in the field of that style! A lot of American Craft Brewery mentions as well! Like Urban Chestnut from MIssiouri is in there! - I love that brewery!
Other brewies that give advice in the book are:
Ommegang
Pilsner Urquell
Schneider & Sohn
Upright Brewing
Fuller's
Mighty Oak
Double Mountain
FullSteam
Saint Germain

The book is by Jeff Alsworth

Re-reading "how to brew".
About the only book that's not in storage.
So pretty much restricted to my kindle

Re-reading "how to brew".
About the only book that's not in storage.
So pretty much restricted to my kindle

Brewing .. Science and Practice

also... Lithuanian Beer .. a rough guide

No they've supposedly got a pretty unique farmhouse style yeast there you read anything about this Patagonia?
I'm seeing that. I am not intending to make one, but reading for information and learning.
yes, they have their own yeasts, handed down through generations.. many are pure, and are the same family Sach. Cerv. as we typically use... but a different pure strain. Looks like they are fairly protected, kept in secret.... as the book mentions that they don't like to speak much about their yeasts and where they came from other than a family strain.
edit.. also forgot to mention... Diacytel is an attribute to their beers, not a fault.

I'm seeing that. I am not intending to make one, but reading for information and learning.
yes, they have their own yeasts, handed down through generations.. many are pure, and are the same family Sach. Cerv. as we typically use... but a different pure strain. Looks like they are fairly protected, kept in secret.... as the book mentions that they don't like to speak much about their yeasts and where they came from other than a family strain.
edit.. also forgot to mention... Diacytel is an attribute to their beers, not a fault.
I see in Larsblog his rundown compilation he has done on Kviek yeasts there is one in there from Lithuania.
As you can probably tell I'm on a kviek yeast bender

Brewing .. Science and Practice

also... Lithuanian Beer .. a rough guide
.... as the book mentions that they don't like to speak much about their yeasts and where they came from other than a family strain..

LOL...maybe it; like that joke where the Dad tells his kid that his mother's "secret recipe" for Raviolli is gasoline...the son says "gasoline!!???" the Dad says "Yeah...she drives to the Shop Rite and get's it out of the Frozen Food section!" It's probably S-04! :p:p:p:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I see in Larsblog his rundown compilation he has done on Kviek yeasts there is one in there from Lithuania.
As you can probably tell I'm on a kviek yeast bender
hey Ben,
lol.... yeah, I do see Kviek mentioned a lot.

I just checked and it appears on the list of available products from the Capital, Santiago. I haven't tried it before, but I do see a lot of members here mentioning it often.
Would you be able to describe a little, the character that it imparts? besides it being quick with fermentation... what other dry yeast would you say it is similar to (taste, aroma wise)?
I've made saisons before, and although many of the friends like it... I wasn't particularly fond of it, although it did grow on me a little.
I typically use US- 05, -04 as well as Windsor. I've also used S-33 which I didn't care for, and Belle Saison which was already mentioned.

hey Ben,
lol.... yeah, I do see Kviek mentioned a lot.

I just checked and it appears on the list of available products from the Capital, Santiago. I haven't tried it before, but I do see a lot of members here mentioning it often.
Would you be able to describe a little, the character that it imparts? besides it being quick with fermentation... what other dry yeast would you say it is similar to (taste, aroma wise)?
I've made saisons before, and although many of the friends like it... I wasn't particularly fond of it, although it did grow on me a little.
I typically use US- 05, -04 as well as Windsor. I've also used S-33 which I didn't care for, and Belle Saison which was already mentioned.

As far as I can say from my continued use with the three strains of kviek I've used it's far from your Belgium/French saison yeast.
It's also a mixed culture not just saccramyces but some strains have different bacteria crazy eh.
I'm guessing the Kviek available from the big yeast sellers are isolated and prob don't contain the bacteria as well.

Have a read of this fellows blog he is way more in the know than me!
http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/393.html

At the Library grabbing some books for the littlie and browsed the cooking/brewing section and found these two.

I like this one written by a chic Emma Christensen she's put some work into this!
Great for the new brewer and one that's been around the block once or twice:).
20230312_125519.jpg

This one is meh probably cus I can't brew near all of them it's nice to browse though :rolleyes:
20230312_125527.jpg

Oh she got some good ones too :p

I'm reading "brew better beer" as well ;)
Bought it recently on kindle as it was decently priced

I'm reading "brew better beer" as well ;)
Bought it recently on kindle as it was decently priced
Wow that's cool alot of the stuff I already know but what a broad bredth of beer styles.

I could only write 5 pages I rekon about the beers I've brewed.

A heck of an accomplishment!

At the Library grabbing some books for the littlie and browsed the cooking/brewing section and found these two.

I like this one written by a chic Emma Christensen she's put some work into this!
Great for the new brewer and one that's been around the block once or twice:).View attachment 24576

This one is meh probably cus I can't brew near all of them it's nice to browse though :rolleyes:View attachment 24578

Oh she got some good ones too :p
The bottles on the cover of BBB sound incredibly interesting…Juniper Rye. Someday when I get the courage, I’m going to throw some trees into one of my beers. :)

Back