My First Recipe - Blackberry Kettle Sour

ad_greenbean

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a few successful all grain BIAB batches under my belt and decided to try my hand at creating my own recipe. After a bit of research, here's my recipe + process for a kettle sour.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1004243/blackberry-kettle-sour

Everything makes sense to me except for how much lactic acid to add during the pre-acidification step. My plan is to add a few grams at a time and see how it goes, but from what' I've read it can be pretty potent and I could overshoot my target ph. I'll also be using Goodbelly Probiotic capsuls (found here) because I wasn't able to find the shots at my local grocery store. Please let me know if you see any red flags here or have any tips in general on the kettle souring process.

Thank you for any help!

Hi all,

I have a few successful all grain BIAB batches under my belt and decided to try my hand at creating my own recipe. After a bit of research, here's my recipe + process for a kettle sour.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1004243/blackberry-kettle-sour

Everything makes sense to me except for how much lactic acid to add during the pre-acidification step. My plan is to add a few grams at a time and see how it goes, but from what' I've read it can be pretty potent and I could overshoot my target ph. I'll also be using Goodbelly Probiotic capsuls (found here) because I wasn't able to find the shots at my local grocery store. Please let me know if you see any red flags here or have any tips in general on the kettle souring process.

Thank you for any help!

When you use lactic acid, you can add it even later (like after fermentation) since it is "to taste". But I don't know anything about adding probiotic capsules and things like that, so that's a question for others to answer.

When you use lactic acid, you can add it even later (like after fermentation) since it is "to taste". But I don't know anything about adding probiotic capsules and things like that, so that's a question for others to answer.
Probiotic capsules contain lactobacillus and can be used as a "starter" for a kettle sour. I wouldn't trust them later in the process, as they contain several species of bacteria and you have no idea of the purity of the culture. Other good sources of lacto up front are cultured yogurt or buttermilk containing live cultures or even grain itself. I've kettle-soured using a sourdough starter. If you're adding later in the process and don't want to risk a "wild" fermentation (read spoiled beer), stick with pure cultures from yeast providers.

Back