Blue Moon Clone - "If I Have To"

Craigerrr

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
My wife and her freind have been bugging me to make something that they like.
I found a Blue Moon recipe that seems to make sense, and to be a pretty straight forward recipe.
There are other recipes that use S-04, but the one I found uses US-05.
This would actually be a good "Hot Summer Isolation Day" beer.
I would do a 5 gallon, full volume, Mash in a Bag batch on this.

Recipe
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/989900/if-i-have-too

Water Profile (because the recipe editor only shows the target, not the actual)
If I Have To - Water Profile.JPG

Any thoughts or input are welcomed:D

I just checked out the lemon myrtle witbier I brewed at Christmas grist very similar to yours.
I'm sure through my research blue moons has corriander and orange zest late in the boil like 5 to go. I used around 10g in my recipe.
I'd also used a wheat beer yeast instead of the S05 That way your get some of that clove type phenols going on. I remember this beer It did didn't last long at Christmas time.
I scorched the wort on my element first brew I did this recipie twice... nailed it second run

Good luck looking forward to what you come up with.

My wife wants the same thing. Over the past several months, this is a topic I have looked into several times, with an eye toward using some of the hops I have on hand, which do not include any noble hops. I worked up my own recipe, but I have not yet brewed it. Maybe this will spur me to action.

I like it as is. I think you will get a nice, easy drinking summer beer that will be better than Blue Moon, but probably won't be Blue Moon. Its been years since I had one, but I don't recall any Hefe yeast flavors to it. That would be a bit of a gamble IMO as the banana and clove could go sideways quickly if the temp isn't controlled. I'd be inclined to stick with the 05 unless a banana/clove thing is what your wife and friend are after.

Personally not a fan of either the banana or clove flavors. All I could find on it was that they use an american ale yeast.
Having said that, and thinking mid sentence... what if I used VOSS Kveik. I think it would lend even more citrus to the brew.
I have some harvested, and have some more that I can harvest in the next day or two.

Concerning the coriander; is it added as whole “corns”, or do the “corns” need to be crushed?
Concerning the orange peel; can fresh peel be used in place of dried?

Concerning the coriander; is it added as whole “corns”, or do the “corns” need to be crushed?
I honestly have no idea!

I crush them that's the corriander I've herd you can give them a little roast too. I just zested an orange when I did mine none of the white stuff that's the bitter part. Here's my recipie
I'd up the lemon myrtle next brew maybe even just do a strong tea and try that at packaging maybe
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/908853/lemon-myrtle-witbier
Tasting notes
Screenshot_20200505-072132_Samsung Internet.jpg

I agree Megary maybe best to just stick with a clean yeast first brew that way will not be to overwhelming.

Personally not a fan of either the banana or clove flavors. All I could find on it was that they use an american ale yeast.
Having said that, and thinking mid sentence... what if I used VOSS Kveik. I think it would lend even more citrus to the brew.
I have some harvested, and have some more that I can harvest in the next day or two.[/QUOTE

Why not tick the right boxes. :

Corns need to be crushed. You can use fresh zest. Conversion is a quick google search away (meaning I don't know it off the top of my head, either).

I really think Blue Moon is the best beer there is to attempt a clone of. No matter how it turns out, odds are it will be an improvement over the real deal :)
The preacher across the street dropped off a card and 2 bottles of beer for my birthday. One was a Blue Moon. If he wasn't a man of God, I would have assaulted him with it.

Back