Old Cara Malt

NickBesk

Trial Member
Reaction score
Two years ago I bought 1kg of Weyermann Special W malt, completely forgot about it and found just now. It was stored in a plain plastic ziploc, below room temperature and relatively dry. The malt smells and tastes just fine. Is it usable? If yes, how much longer can I store it?

Taste it. If it tastes stale, don't use it. Otherwise, you're likely fine.

Taste it. If it tastes stale, don't use it. Otherwise, you're likely fine.
Thanks, I was pretty sure the worst thing that could happen is aroma not being as intense, as it was originally. I was just anxious if there is something I had no clue about, since all I could find about malt storage was "more than one year is no-go".

Thanks, I was pretty sure the worst thing that could happen is aroma not being as intense, as it was originally. I was just anxious if there is something I had no clue about, since all I could find about malt storage was "more than one year is no-go".
Well, it works as a rule of thumb. As dry as it is in Denver, I'd think we could go much longer. Malt is pretty much indestructible as long as you keep it dry.

Was it milled? If not, it should last quite well. Base malt is more susceptible to deterioration and older grain will yield less efficiency. With Crystal malts, it's just a matter of flavor (stale bread) messing up your beer. If it was milled, off flavor is more likely and I'd probably cut my losses and toss it.

Back