Lemondrop Hops

Bubba Wade

Trial Member
Reaction score
I have an order of Lemondrop hops on the way. I have used them in the past for a Saison recipe that was a light summertime beer. I am looking for a few other ideas. I am thinking about dry hopping a wheat beer or cream ale with these. Possibly an APA.

What else might work?

I've done a Saison-style beer with Sorachi Ace and Lemon Drop and that was very nice. I think a Witbier would be pretty fantastic with Lemon Drop. Maybe an American Wheat would be a little less yeast-forward and let the lemon and fruit in the hops come through even better.

I've used Lemondrop hops a few times...a Cream twice and an American Wheat. Always late or dry additions. I have gotten hints and suggestions, but not a lot of lemon from them. I kind of see them as a weaker Cascade. I think they are probably best paired with a complimentary hop. Maybe I just haven't been using enough?? My best results were when I used them as a knockout addition with Mouteka in the American Wheat. Gave a citrus-lime aroma/flavor that worked really well.

Back when I first started brewing I did an extract kit for a white IPA with 1 oz Centennial @ 45, 1 oz Citra @ 15, 1oz Zythos @ 1, then dry hopped 1 oz each of Citra and Lemondrop for 3 days. 5 gallon batch.

Turned out fantastic and aged well if you call the last bottle opened at the 4 month mark well aged. ;) I still have the recipe in extract form which I will eventually convert to AG to make again but if your interested I can make eventually into ASAP.

Back when I first started brewing I did an extract kit for a white IPA with 1 oz Centennial @ 45, 1 oz Citra @ 15, 1oz Zythos @ 1, then dry hopped 1 oz each of Citra and Lemondrop for 3 days. 5 gallon batch.

Turned out fantastic and aged well if you call the last bottle opened at the 4 month mark well aged. ;) I still have the recipe in extract form which I will eventually convert to AG to make again but if your interested I can make eventually into ASAP.
I was thinking of using a mix of Lemondrop and Citra for dry hopping. Sounds like it worked out okay.

I have an order of Lemondrop hops on the way. I have used them in the past for a Saison recipe that was a light summertime beer. I am looking for a few other ideas. I am thinking about dry hopping a wheat beer or cream ale with these. Possibly an APA.

What else might work?

Back