Basic homebrew recipe needed with basic materials

Roman times

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Im trying to brew with the basics because im in country where i dont have access to all the raw material.
So I’m going for an ancient type of beer.

My equipments are:

1. 8 gallon electric water boiler, the type used in offices coffee break rooms. It has a temperature dial to set temperature.

2. Hydrometer and air locks

3. Glass carboy 5 gallon capacity and a couple of 5 gallon buckets with cover.

4. Barley, 2 types one type of grain is bigger than the other. Not sure if 2 or 6 row barley.

5. Safale US-05 and Safale K-97. And LALLEMAND Belle Saison. And Red Star Premeir Classique, its for red wine. All are dry yeast. I have few packets of them, no shortage.

6. Cascade pallets hops and Citra pallet hopes. Thankfully it went through customs . I have pounds of both

7. Alpha enzymes 3 Ounces.

8. Beta enzymes 1 pound

9. Yeast nutrient 3 Ounces.

10. Potassium Metabisulphite. Used to kill wild yeast.

11. Sanitizers and pepsi keg (ball lock keg) with all the attachments of CO2, faucets and hoses.

Now for the whole process of making beer, it’s clear to me. The problem is I don’t have a recipe to follow, and i have few points needing clarification:

To what degree shall i roast the malted barley?

The second challenge is chilling the wort. Since its an electric water boiler I can’t submerge it in a ice bath, and i don’t have a cupper coil to run cool water to chill it. I figured it’s best to do the wart with less water then top it off with clear ice bought from the supermarket, it’s sterile and free from impurities.

Lastly I can’t find a recipe to follow, if you could help please.

Thanks alot,

Your barley is malted, I suppose?
Other than that it looks like you got everything to make a blonde or something like it.
I'm sure someone will come up with something nice, if not I'll give you my last recipe, but as I'm an absolute beginner, I rather leave it to the others.
As for cooling: look at "no chill". There are a number of threads on this forum.

Where are you located?
There's a number of us in countries with dificult access to materials. Sure between us we can make a plan!

1. You don't have to roast the barley if you are okay with making a basic blonde ale.
- if you do want to acheive a slightly different malt profile then you can toast some of the barley in your oven at 350 for as little as 10 minutes. The longer you toast the more bolder the flavor becomes. I did 2 lbs for 25 minutes and got a beautiful amber beer that has lots of toasty, nutty notes and a hint of coffee. Next time I would use slightly less grain (1 to 1.5 lbs) and maybe only 15 minutes to see if I get a mellower flavor.

2. Topping up to your desired amount with very cold, sterile water is a good idea. Or as Zambezi stated just use the no chill method.

3. A simple blonde ale as Zambezi said might be your best bet, just to keep it simple and work out any kinks in your new system. Brew it 3 to 4 times and then if you gain consistency move on to toasting some grains. - ultimately up to you though.

I can help make a recipe with you but I'd have lots of process questions for you...

I'm agreeing with the simple blonde idea. I'm betting the plumper corns are two-row, the others six-row.

1. You don't have to roast the barley if you are okay with making a basic blonde ale.
- if you do want to acheive a slightly different malt profile then you can toast some of the barley in your oven at 350 for as little as 10 minutes. The longer you toast the more bolder the flavor becomes. I did 2 lbs for 25 minutes and got a beautiful amber beer that has lots of toasty, nutty notes and a hint of coffee. Next time I would use slightly less grain (1 to 1.5 lbs) and maybe only 15 minutes to see if I get a mellower flavor.

2. Topping up to your desired amount with very cold, sterile water is a good idea. Or as Zambezi stated just use the no chill method.

3. A simple blonde ale as Zambezi said might be your best bet, just to keep it simple and work out any kinks in your new system. Brew it 3 to 4 times and then if you gain consistency move on to toasting some grains. - ultimately up to you though.

I can help make a recipe with you but I'd have lots of process questions for you...

Thanks alot, for your support

I'm agreeing with the simple blonde idea. I'm betting the plumper corns are two-row, the others six-row.
Thanks alot,

im looking at the recipes in the search .. there are alot of them, could you recommend a few?

specifically ones with higher ABV% since the batches I’ll be making are few and i want to get the best buzz out of it.

Your barley is malted, I suppose?
Other than that it looks like you got everything to make a blonde or something like it.
I'm sure someone will come up with something nice, if not I'll give you my last recipe, but as I'm an absolute beginner, I rather leave it to the others.
As for cooling: look at "no chill". There are a number of threads on this forum.

Where are you located?
There's a number of us in countries with dificult access to materials. Sure between us we can make a plan!

im located in Saudi Arabia,, it's dry man.

i did a batch the first time ever and it was above expectations, it came out as "Blue Moon" taste .. the second time i tried with less attention to the steps plus i added the sugar to the wort in the boiling process for faster dissolving, i don't know if that affects the chemistry of it.

thanks alot for your explanation, i found a recipe for Blonde Ale. it's straightforward.

what do you think about adding alpha and beta enzymes? I have ordered 1 pound of each, but don't know how to use it for a 5 gallon batch.

thanks alot for your explanation, i found a recipe for Blonde Ale. it's straightforward.

what do you think about adding alpha and beta enzymes? I have ordered 1 pound of each, but don't know how to use it for a 5 gallon batch.
I have never used any. Those, I believe are used for making liquor/spirits. You don't need them to make beer. If you use them you will end up with a very dry beer I would imagine.

In beer you control the alpha and beta amalyse enzymes with mash temp. Just follow the recipe and you should be all right!

Let us know if you have any other questions along the way.

what do you think about adding alpha and beta enzymes?

Welcome to the forums. I am new to brewing, as in I just brewed my first beers about 2 weeks ago and they are still fermenting. I added alpha enzymes (AG300L) to my first batch (long story) and the result is coming in slowly. My initial gravity reading was 1.057 so the ending gravity after fermentation based on the recipe should be around 1.010. After two weeks the gravity is now 0.996. It taste VERY dry, almost like a wine. Will bottle it next weekend and hope for the best.

What I have learned since then is that the enzymes like AG300L convert everything to fermentable sugars. This is great if you are trying to get something in the range of 0.098 so you can distill it, but not so great with beer because all the complex sugars that give it flavor are broke down and fermented out. On a brighter note, the original recipe showed the ABV as 6.38% and it is now 7.8%. Just hoping it has enough taste to be drinkable.

Good luck.

Cool a Saudi brewer!
I'm hoping your metric
For a first time brew I'd go Brew In a Bag but sounds you've got the all grain mash side down pat?
If not get a paint strainer bag from hardware.
Get about 4kg of that barley either will do.
Find your blender.
On mid/high speed add a small soup bowl at a time and wizz that for around 7-10 seconds so you mill it up with some fine looking chunks not flour though but if so don't stress. Main thing is less whole grains.
Ok add this to a clean bucket or vessel until you've milled the lot.
Mash mid range 66c so heat water to 69c
Mash your grains for an hour stir well at start to break up dough balls they will.be stubborn little critters.

You can either heat a few litres of water and hoist your bag in a collander suspended over your pot and laddle sparge water over the grain or just mash full volume.
I'll say roughly for 21lt batch you will need atleast 28-29lt total the calculator on-site will tell you.
Boil 60 min add 20g cascade to wort before it hits the boil.
Add a big chunk into the kettle at flame out like 30-50g.
Put lid on kettle (if no lid use aluminium foil over kettle opening and make sure no gaps).
Leave kettle cool overnight.
Transfers into fermentor next day wort should have chilled to pitching temp or there about for your S05.
Add another 30g cascade to fermentor once krausen starts to drop.
Let sit for 5 days after this take gravity reading transfer to keg.
ENJOY
Blonde Ale yummy :)

Here you go
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/999341/saudi-blonde

Last edited:

They're not needed: The malt has more than enough of its own to convert the starches to sugars.

im located in Saudi Arabia,, it's dry man./QUOTE]

Eish
Saudi...
Yes you got some added problems.
I'm in a beer drinking country and we'll get most home brewing stuff from S Africa.
At least we can get it, legally :)

Uh, is homebrewing legal in Saudi Arabia? Been there a couple of times, nothing like that welcome drink of orange juice when you check into the hotel....

Yeah malting your own barley is a pain in the ass at our scale. LME will definitely work.

Thanks alot,
the batch is a success, super rich flavor and amber color .. you are a savior

I’ll try doing another batch with liquid malted barely. If you have any suggestions, please guide me.

Cheers

Cool a Saudi brewer!
I'm hoping your metric
For a first time brew I'd go Brew In a Bag but sounds you've got the all grain mash side down pat?
If not get a paint strainer bag from hardware.
Get about 4kg of that barley either will do.
Find your blender.
On mid/high speed add a small soup bowl at a time and wizz that for around 7-10 seconds so you mill it up with some fine looking chunks not flour though but if so don't stress. Main thing is less whole grains.
Ok add this to a clean bucket or vessel until you've milled the lot.
Mash mid range 66c so heat water to 69c
Mash your grains for an hour stir well at start to break up dough balls they will.be stubborn little critters.

You can either heat a few litres of water and hoist your bag in a collander suspended over your pot and laddle sparge water over the grain or just mash full volume.
I'll say roughly for 21lt batch you will need atleast 28-29lt total the calculator on-site will tell you.
Boil 60 min add 20g cascade to wort before it hits the boil.
Add a big chunk into the kettle at flame out like 30-50g.
Put lid on kettle (if no lid use aluminium foil over kettle opening and make sure no gaps).
Leave kettle cool overnight.
Transfers into fermentor next day wort should have chilled to pitching temp or there about for your S05.
Add another 30g cascade to fermentor once krausen starts to drop.
Let sit for 5 days after this take gravity reading transfer to keg.
ENJOY
Blonde Ale yummy :)

Here you go
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/999341/saudi-blonde

Thanks alot,
the batch is a success, super rich flavor and amber color .. you are a savior

I’ll try doing another batch with liquid malted barely. If you have any suggestions, please guide me.

Cheers
Awesome stuff glad it worked out for you keep on brewing.:)

Back