Couple of recipes using Mandarina Bavaria...

Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I like that Cream Ale recipe. Question...what do you get from grits? Are they similar to using flaked oats as a bit of a body builder/mouthfeel thing or do they bring something different to the table? I've always wanted to pick some up and brew with them, but I keep thinking that I would just end up making them for breakfast. :)

I like that Cream Ale recipe. Question...what do you get from grits? Are they similar to using flaked oats as a bit of a body builder/mouthfeel thing or do they bring something different to the table? I've always wanted to pick some up and brew with them, but I keep thinking that I would just end up making them for breakfast. :)

I use them in my cream ales, they seem to lighten the beer up a bit and give it a faint corn flavor...of course that could just be in my head. Started using them because they are pretty common in a traditional cream ale. I don't do a cereal mash, just mix 'em in with the milled barley and dough in. I do usually give the mash an extra 15 minutes just to be sure they convert(75 total).

A local microbrewery used Mandarina Bavaria and Hallertaur Blanc for an session ale. It was fantastic and only 4.5 ABV so you could have a few after some yard work and still make dinner. Definitely sweet orange flavor to it. I don't have the recipe but from the multiple bottles I sampled :D I'd say they used the Mandarina as a late addition or whirlpool hops and a small amount to dry hop. A pale ale version is on my "to do" list but I have not quite made it there yet.

Yeah I have a bunch of it too I should deal with.

Back