Help needed. distilled beer.

Brewer #312974

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I have a question i hope you can help me with.

Ive been trying to distill commercial produced beer, but been having problems with the CO2 in the beer.
Do you guys have any ideas how to get rit of it? or any suggestions on how to distill beer??
Ive also tried to get at second fermentation startet, with out any luck. bought a keg and filled into a fermenter added go ferm and yeast, but nothing is heppening, any ideas??

Thanks!

Toke

Wine's easy - you just stir the **** out of it with a paint stirrer on a drill. Beer would foam everywhere if you tried that. I have a friend that distills any stale beer I have but don't know his process.

You're trying to ferment already fermented beer? That's what the last question sounded like, so I'm not sure what exactly you're trying to do.
If something is already fermented (beer in a keg), it won't ferment more. If I read that wrong, I'm sorry.

Hi guys! I have a question i hope you can help me with.

Ive been trying to distill commercial produced beer, but been having problems with the CO2 in the beer.
Do you guys have any ideas how to get rit of it? or any suggestions on how to distill beer??
Ive also tried to get at second fermentation startet, with out any luck. bought a keg and filled into a fermenter added go ferm and yeast, but nothing is heppening, any ideas??

Thanks!

Toke
what your really asking is how to remove carbonation, warm it up for a day and purge or open as long as co2 is escaping

You're trying to ferment already fermented beer? That's what the last question sounded like, so I'm not sure what exactly you're trying to do.
If something is already fermented (beer in a keg), it won't ferment more. If I read that wrong, I'm sorry.
I think he's concerned with degassing. OMB hit the answer, just pour it out into a bucket and let it degas itself.

Why do you think an already fermented beer would restart? All the available sugars are used up. You're wasting your time.
If you're buying beer to produce a distilled alcohol, you're going about it the wrong way. Just get some malt extract and proper yeast, use the fermenter that you already seem to have and ferment to the proper ABV to start with. Then you don't have to worry about any of the problems you're asking about.

Didn't your mom ever teach ya that if you leave the cap off your soda will go flat?:D

Last edited:
I heard this was a new sales opportunity for all those quickly expiring kegs. Sell them as wash for distillaton and then all the distiller needs to do is degas. Take a few cents in the dollar instead of dumping them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degassing.

From the wikipedia link how about adding really loud heavy metal music to OMB's recommendation so that you've got pressure differential and sonic vibrations to help with the degassing? Then you can name the spirit with one of a million heavy metal puns.

Not exactly sure why you would want to distill commercial beer as the average ABV is normally too low. It would take a HUGE amount of beer to get any real end product. Five gallons of Budweiser would only result in 0.21 gallons (~790ml) of distilled product. Not really a beer question, but OMG pretty much covered how to get the carbonation out.

Not exactly sure why you would want to distill commercial beer as the average ABV is normally too low. It would take a HUGE amount of beer to get any real end product. Five gallons of Budweiser would only result in 0.21 gallons (~790ml) of distilled product. Not really a beer question, but OMG pretty much covered how to get the carbonation out.
Not necessarily true. Typically, lower abv washes produce a cleaner spirit. Beer range starting gravities at about 1.060 are perfect. Distilling carbonated beverages is not that uncommon of a practice.
Distilling hoppy beers is a growing trend among craft distilleries.

Not necessarily true. Typically, lower abv washes produce a cleaner spirit. Beer range starting gravities at about 1.060 are perfect. Distilling carbonated beverages is not that uncommon of a practice.
Distilling hoppy beers is a growing trend among craft distilleries.

Wow, had no idea. Guess I will have to look into it at some point, thanks.

...Distilling hoppy beers is a growing trend among craft distilleries.
I've had a couple of distilled triple/double IPAs and you can definitely taste the hops. Actually prefer the distilled versions in most cases.

I've been trying to distill commercial produced beer, but been having problems with the CO2 in the beer.
Freeze it!
If you scrape off the H2O, will give you higher ABV (and it is still Reinheitsgebot conform, ergo still "beer" ;)) and get rid of a lot of the CO2. For even higher ABV, go ahead and distill the rest.

Freeze it!
If you scrape off the H2O, will give you higher ABV (and it is still Reinheitsgebot conform, ergo still "beer" ;)) and get rid of a lot of the CO2. For even higher ABV, go ahead and distill the rest.
Hadn't thought of that but it would work, and give you a higher starting point for distillation!

It's still unclear what the OP is actually up to. We're guessing about his or her intent but based on the questions, it's a dubious strategy toward a misguided goal. ;)

It's still unclear what the OP is actually up to. We're guessing about his or her intent but based on the questions, it's a dubious strategy toward a misguided goal. ;)
Don't know: Some Colorado distillers did it to make hand sanitizer. But they had several kegs of Rocky Mountain Pinkelwasser....

If you're planning on conventional heat distilling, the CO2 would be the first thing up the pipe. With freeze distilling, it shouldn't make any difference. Are you perhaps partaking in an excess of distilled spirits before thinking this out?

@BOB357 is exactly right. Co2 doesn't matter. If by chance it does, there are conditioners and other preventatives that'll fix you right up.
If you want a cleaner, higher abv, cut it and run it through again.

Last edited:

Back