Counterflow chiller cleaning / sanitizing

promufa

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I ve just made a counterflow chiller and I am wondering what method are people using to clean and sanitize the wort line?
I guess flushing with warm water would be fine to clean after the chilling process but I am not clear on how to sanitize the tubing prior to use.

Any suggestions welcome :)

ty

Flushing with warm water is fine for cleaning. Sanitizing is not necessary, just let the hot (160 degrees F or greater) run through it for a few seconds before starting cooling (check a pasteurization table for a better estimate of times but I know at 180 degrees, pasteurization is nearly instantaneous).

What he said^

After transferring wort to the fermenter I circulate hot PBW and then rinse with hot water (same with my mash pump). Drain well, open valves and ready for next brew day.

While brewing, recirculate boiling wort through CF chiller for a minute near end of boil. Work all the valves to expose any debris. Cheers!

Same. I circ hot wort through mine for a few minutes before starting the chill process. Once done, I circ hot pbw through the counter flow chiller for about 5 minutes then circ hot plain water for another 5. I then clear all liquid from the line with an air compressor.

I recirculate for 10 minutes at the end of the boil. Reason for the longer timing is that all the components of the system - pump, tubing, fittings, valves, etc - have to come up to temp. Also, it disrupts the boil by dumping energy into transferring heat. I like to let it settle back into a rolling boil for a while near the end.

I use an immersion chiller, but I whirlpool for hop stands, and to help speed up chilling. I start to recirculate with 15 to go when I add the immersion chiller. Different process, but kind of the same too.

I have a pump on my shelf I've not used yet largely because of what I perceive as the hassle involved in cleaning it afterward.

I have a pump on my shelf I've not used yet largely because of what I perceive as the hassle involved in cleaning it afterward.
Coward!

It's not terrible, just circulate hot water, maybe with PBW or similar, through it for a few minutes, rinse by circulating clean water through it if you used PBW in the first step and done. Or take it apart - six screws - and clean it manually. Either way, not much hassle.

Yeah I don't know why I've resisted it as much as I have. Not really any good reason.

I find the pump helps with cleaning :). You can pump cleaning solution through you return hose via pump and direct it at all those trouble spots with a scrubber in other hand.
I wouldn't brew without one now.

Off the top of my head
Pump
.Recirculates mash liquor
.Whirlpools hops
.Aids in chilling
.Transfers wort into fermentor in ferm chamber saving my back.
.Recirculates cleaner through brew system aiding in cleaning
.helps clean brew floor after brew day I pump used cleaner and hot water onto floor to clean any wort spillages the rest goes into buckets for soaking certain brewing items or for cleaning kegs.

Back