0.1 Mash pH Error - Mash Chemistry and Brewing Water Calculator vs. My Recipe

Blackhawks

Trial Member
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out the Mash Chemistry and Brewing Water Calculator.

When I build the recipe with the My Recipe function it shows a mash pH of 5.94. When I build the recipe using the Mash Chemistry and Brewing Water Calculator is shows a mash pH of 5.84. Can anyone explain this 0.1 discrepancy?

For the record, I want to brew an 8-gallon batch with the grain profile shown but will do a BIAB mash in 5 gallons to help reduce the mash pH. I understand I could mash even thicker like in 3 or 4 gallons if I wish. After the mash, I check my gravity to verify I had a good conversion. I will dilute by adding 2 gallons of water to bring my kettle up to 7 gallons and then boil for 1 hour. I will lose 1 gallon of water during the boil leaving me 6 gallons post-boil. To help cool the wort, I will add 2 gallons of refrigerator chilled water to bring my wort back up to 8 gallons. And then I will chill in my poor man’s ice bath.

I still haven't fully absorbed the mash chemistry in brewersfriend, but hopefully @Yooper may have an idea?

I am trying to figure out the Mash Chemistry and Brewing Water Calculator.

When I build the recipe with the My Recipe function it shows a mash pH of 5.94. When I build the recipe using the Mash Chemistry and Brewing Water Calculator is shows a mash pH of 5.84. Can anyone explain this 0.1 discrepancy?

For the record, I want to brew an 8-gallon batch with the grain profile shown but will do a BIAB mash in 5 gallons to help reduce the mash pH. I understand I could mash even thicker like in 3 or 4 gallons if I wish. After the mash, I check my gravity to verify I had a good conversion. I will dilute by adding 2 gallons of water to bring my kettle up to 7 gallons and then boil for 1 hour. I will lose 1 gallon of water during the boil leaving me 6 gallons post-boil. To help cool the wort, I will add 2 gallons of refrigerator chilled water to bring my wort back up to 8 gallons. And then I will chill in my poor man’s ice bath.

Without seeing the actual screenshots, my guess is that adding the water after the mash is affecting the prediction. The software doesn't "know" you are diluting later I think. That would through off the volume and pH calculations. The mash pH would be correct if you have the correct amount of water in the mash, so I'm thinking that is the issue here. One is using the proper volume I would guess. Your boil pH would be far different than the mash pH, but the water calculator doesn't have the ability to predict that, especially with adding 4 gallons of water post mash and/or boil.

Make sure the water volumes are accurate in your mash chem calculator and go by that number. Both numbers are estimates, after all, but the mash chem should be more accurate. Also you need to be able to measure PH to make appropiate adjustments while mashing/brewing if you're going to keep it within .1 variance.

Back