No sparge

Malbis

Trial Member
Reaction score
I always brew with no sparge.
In equipment profile, what should I enter in the Default Mash Thickness?
Thanks.

For full volume, or no sparge, brewing, you don't worry about the mash thickness, and it isn't used for recipes where BIAB is the brew process.

In the recipe editor, you'll need to enter the full mash water needed, which can be viewed from the quick water requirements either in recipe tools, or in the menu in the top left.

Alternatively you can use the "add quick water requirements" button to add the estimated total water automatically.
Set up the recipe using your ingredients, make sure

the correct equipment profile (in the MORE section) is selected,
the brew method is Biab,
and the preboil, and postboil volumes are accurate.

Then save the recipe, and reload the page (press F5, or view recipe and edit recipe again). There's a bug where the quick water requirements aren't updated with some recipe changes.

Then click the add quick water requirements from the menu in the mash guidelines. It will automatically add a strike mash step equal to the calculated total mash water.

Sorry, I have another question.
Where can I find the strike water temperature to get my target of 68C?
Thanks.

Sorry, I have another question.
Where can I find the strike water temperature to get my target of 68C?
Thanks.
The system does some calculation when you tell it the temp of the grains, but it's relying on the Mash Strike Heat Loss setting in the equipment profile. And that's really dependent on your system. I'm using three systems at the moment, for 1 it's 1C, the other it's 2C and I've got a new one that I'll be working out the number today, but I'll be using 1C as the first guess and will update it once I've mashed in and checked the drop.

The system does some calculation when you tell it the temp of the grains, but it's relying on the Mash Strike Heat Loss setting in the equipment profile. And that's really dependent on your system. I'm using three systems at the moment, for 1 it's 1C, the other it's 2C and I've got a new one that I'll be working out the number today, but I'll be using 1C as the first guess and will update it once I've mashed in and checked the drop.
Is this something you could test for by adding strike water to an empty mash tun? I mash in a keggle, but do have some insulation.

It also depends on the grain temp all factored in with the BG calc. I don't take too much notice trying to hit mash doe in temp i set controller 2c up and let it bring it up if I undershoot.
More critical if your mashing in a cooler but.
Use the calculator on this site if so measure the grain temp and plug in your mash volume I'm sure you'll come up apples if not check our thermometer lol...

Is this something you could test for by adding strike water to an empty mash tun? I mash in a keggle, but do have some insulation.
Yup. Add ~158F water to whatever your typical strike water is, stir it for a few minutes, and measure the temperature.

Back