Simpson's Chocolate Malt

@Mark Farrall

I assume that's not the intended link you meant to paste?

As far as the question, without a specific link to the recipe in question showing the ingredient and where in the process it's being added, a sugar addition like sucrose, candy syrup, or honey, will add volume and that volume should be accounted for now in the recipe editor, and brew sessions with the update for late additions and pre/post boil gravities whenever that was. I'm not great with remembering timelines :confused:

I don't understand how it's happening either, but if you look at the quick water requirements for this recipe you'll see that it thinks there's a sugar addition - https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/982081/sugar-no-sugar
To poke my nose in here
Are you saying Mark that Chocolate malt should not contribute to the fermentables in the recipie therefore not showing a gravity number.
I see it listed at 31 ppg quite high I'd think for a highly roasted malt.
Obviously it won't convert itself but surely it contributes to the fermentable starches in the mash no?

The "mashed" parameter for that grain is unchecked, which is what's throwing things off. Turn that on and it should be good. You might need to save and reload.

Was that a BF catalog item, or from your inventory?

I've opened a ticket to take a look at the mashed parameter as a whole, is it still needed? Should it be on by default for grain fermentables when adding to inventory?

Last edited:
@Trialben - no I was saying that the water calculator was seeing it as a late addition that increased the volume of the batch, rather than a mashed grain that decreased it.

@Pricelessbrewing - that makes sense. It's the entry from the main catalog I was using. I've been using the generic UK entry in the meantime.

Not sure of a use case for it, but it would make sense to have enabled by default for grains if it still needs to exist.

Unmashed ingredients could absorb wort or increase volume, so maybe it's a bad label for something useful for the water calculations. Though that sounds like a rabbit hole not worth following as you could end up looking at something awful like supporting coffee beans vs. a syrup added at fermentation .

Back