What should I brew next? (3 recipes)

Blackmuse

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
So I am unsure as to what I should brew next.... I have three possible recipes and would love some help deciding - and would appreciate any recipe feedback too!

Let it be known that I have 2 blonde ales on tap right now and I have a maple brown ale, hefeweizen and a toasted lager in fermentors.

BOCK:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/968840/bock

VIENNA - a sort of hybrid experiment
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/862123/vienna-euro-mexico-

Pale Ale - of sorts - I just wanted to highlight a hop I haven't used much on its own.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/966016/m-m

Man, they all look good! I was in a similar spot and decided to let the FIFO method of inventory management make the decision for me, so I cleaned out my oldest ingredients first.
Good luck!

I'd flip a coin between the Vienna and a pale ale.

Either lager. You have a few on tap so save the pale ale for a quicker turn around later on?

Either lager. You have a few on tap so save the pale ale for a quicker turn around later on?
I like that idea and based on other's opinions I believe I will make the Vienna lager. I have never used flaked maize before so I am interested in seeing what it is like...

Maybe then I'll make the bock since I will have plenty in the pipeline and will be able to leave it lagering for a bit.

I pretty much go with what am I thirsting for at the moment. First tie-breaker is what grains and hops do I have on hand. Second tie-breaker is which one I haven't I brewed recently. Right now I'm thirsting for a Vienna so I'd pick that one but, your logic for the bock beer is pretty good.

So I brewed the Vienna Lager! I made a few rookie mistakes though!
1. Forgot the brewing salts! - No real worries there though.
2. I only had 1 pound of flaked maize and not 2 like I thought so I had to make a minor adjustment...
3. I didn't quite collect enough pre-boil wort and ended up only getting 5 gallons... Because of this I was a few points high on the OG....

In the end it all worked out I suppose! lol

Thanks for the help! 20200330_181701.jpg

20200408_091231.jpg
10 days later and she's done! Unexpected.

Extremely tasty! I am actually more excites about this than I am the toasted lager! Cold crashing now.

Wow, pretty quick to cold crash. Huge starter or warmer temps?
RIGHT! I thought the same thing. I used two packs of rehydrated yeast and yes - warmer - 56-58... I should mention it was 34/70 which handles warm temps well. After 7 days I started warming it up to 65 since airlock activity practically stopped. It sat at 65 for 2 days and then I took a reading - 1.008 (lower than expected (1.011).

The sample tasted great! No off flavors or anything. Not what I was expecting.

RIGHT! I thought the same thing. I used two packs of rehydrated yeast and yes - warmer - 56-58... I should mention it was 34/70 which handles warm temps well. After 7 days I started warming it up to 65 since airlock activity practically stopped. It sat at 65 for 2 days and then I took a reading - 1.008 (lower than expected (1.011).

The sample tasted great! No off flavors or anything. Not what I was expecting.
Nice

Message_1586610535539.jpg Nailed the OG on the BOCK! - Actually 1 point high but close enough for me ;)

And I enjoyed one of these bad boys while brewing it! (Who cares if it was 8:00 in the morning! ;)
20200411_081017.jpg

She's bubbling away at 53 degrees right now - started it at 50 on Saturday and have been slowly letting it climb a bit.

View attachment 9590 Nailed the OG on the BOCK! - Actually 1 point high but close enough for me ;)

And I enjoyed one of these bad boys while brewing it! (Who cares if it was 8:00 in the morning! ;)
View attachment 9591

She's bubbling away at 53 degrees right now - started it at 50 on Saturday and have been slowly letting it climb a bit.
It's always 5:00 somewhere:p

So I am unsure as to what I should brew next.... I have three possible recipes and would love some help deciding - and would appreciate any recipe feedback too!

Let it be known that I have 2 blonde ales on tap right now and I have a maple brown ale, hefeweizen and a toasted lager in fermentors.

BOCK:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/968840/bock

VIENNA - a sort of hybrid experiment
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/862123/vienna-euro-mexico-

Pale Ale - of sorts - I just wanted to highlight a hop I haven't used much on its own.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/966016/m-m

I guess what would be the result for a maple ale... it sounds a bit exotic here.. plz brew it and post the outcome.

See you

I guess what would be the result for a maple ale... it sounds a bit exotic here.. plz brew it and post the outcome.

See you
Message_1586030124540.jpg Maple Brown Ale came out great! Very strong - the added maple syrup fermented out almost completely. Reminds me of a strong Belgian dubble with notes of molasses and a hint of maple.

The Vienna Lager! Looks great. Not exactly what I was going for taste -wise though... Maybe I should have left it in the fermenter for another 5-7 days ;)

Defintely tastey - just not as smooth and crisp as I wanted it to be.

20200425_172247.jpg

Last edited:
In other news: The Bock has been in the fermenter for 17 days and for the life of me I can't seem to get it to drop below 1.019... It started at 1.070.

I used 34/70 which I usually get 82% attenuation out of. Right now I am at 73%... It appears done. I started fermentation at 50 and it did the bulk of it's fermentation at 53. By day 7 the krausen had dropped and activity appeared done so I pulled it from the ferm cahamber and kept it in my 58 degree basement. Day 10 showed 1.019. It has been at 58 since and is still 1.019...

Should I let it ride or keg it?
20200420_095741.jpg

Back