Grain ID question

philjohnwilliams

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I picked up some grain from my LHBS yesterday, taking advantage of their order online/ deliver to your car service they offer. I have used this store for at least a decade and have never had any problems, so I didn't bother to check my order when I got home. When I went to weigh out my grain for tomorrow's brew day, it seems to me that they mislabeled my carapils and carastan bags of grain. I have tasted them and it does seem to be the case, but I'd feel better with a second opinion.
20200417_130012.jpg
20200417_125821.jpg

No question that one is lighter. Based on the photos, I'd have to agree that they're mislabeled. Trust your taste buds.

So I'd want to assume the darker one is the Carastan, but it would be best to call the store and ask if they could compare the colors of the 2 in bulk.
I'm sure they would be happy to help you.
Thanks for supporting local!
Cheers,
Brian

So I'd want to assume the darker one is the Carastan, but it would be best to call the store and ask if they could compare the colors of the 2 in bulk.
I'm sure they would be happy to help you.
Thanks for supporting local!
Cheers,
Brian
I did end up emailing the store and it turns out that the bags are in fact labeled correctly. Even the owner of the store was a bit surprised to see how much darker the carapils was.

Good on them for checking.

Back