2/3 Foam

Over The Cliff Brewing

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I tapped into a brown ale (2 gal) I brewed a few weeks back and I get all foam even at 9PSI and the beer itself is not as carbonated as I'd like it to be. What can be the problem?

My guess: The CO2 is still dissolved, and coming out when you pour it. Either that or you have condensation nuclei (dirt, dust, etc.) in yout glassware. I'd just release the pressure, shake, and repeat until the actual dissolved CO2 in the beer came down. Maybe someone has a better idea?

I keep everything beer crazy clean so I'll try moving the keg around after releasing the pressure. thanks!

Short hose will allow all the CO2 to dissipate into foam , leaving none in suspension. Make sure you have at least 7 feet of hose for that pressure. You didn't mention how you'd carbed but if you're holding at 9 PSI for a couple of weeks, there's no reason it wouldn't be fully carbed.
One thing you can do is to purge the keg completely and then raise pressure just enough to push through the tap. You should get no foam at all and the carb level will be easy to judge.

Short hose will allow all the CO2 to dissipate into foam , leaving none in suspension. Make sure you have at least 7 feet of hose for that pressure. You didn't mention how you'd carbed but if you're holding at 9 PSI for a couple of weeks, there's no reason it wouldn't be fully carbed.
One thing you can do is to purge the keg completely and then raise pressure just enough to push through the tap. You should get no foam at all and the carb level will be easy to judge.
Agreed. But he'll still have to degas the beer that's in there, otherwise, while it will improve, the improvement will be gradual.

Back