Mash temp and any other tips

Josh Hughes

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I’m brewing my first all grain. Only doing a gallon and already have ingredients ordered. Any comments or advice? Mash temp? Thanks in advance

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: India Pale Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 1 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 1.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.052
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.078
Final Gravity: 1.018
ABV (standard): 7.78%
IBU (tinseth): 64.95
SRM (morey): 4.74
Mash pH: 0

FERMENTABLES:
3 lb - Brewers Malt 2-Row (100%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 64.95

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 152 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 1.5 gal

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - English Ale Yeast S-04
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 75%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Temp: 54 - 77 F
Fermentation Temp: 72 F
Pitch Rate: 0.35 (M cells / ml / deg P)

PRIMING:
Method: dextrose
Amount: 0.9 oz
CO2 Level: 2.45 Volumes

I'd mash at 150 or so.
I'd suggest changing up the cascade hops and using some earlier in the boil and then some later. For example, 1/4 ounce at 60 minutes (say, 30 IBUs or so there), 1/4 ounce at 14 minutes, and 1/2 ounce at flame out. IPAs are firmly bitter, and hoppy in flavor and aroma and are usually dry hopped as well.
SO4 is not my favorite yeast for an American IPA, but if ferment in in the low 60s, it will not have many fruity flavors.

I'd probably use US05 instead of US04 for an IPA but otherwise what Yooper said should see you right. Move the thermometer around until it reads 150 and call it good.

I would agree with Hawk and Yooper, mash anywhere from 150F-152F, if it drops a bit lower, don't sweat it.
I would also say that US-05 is a much better yeast for the style. Great yeast, use it all the time!

Will the yeast I ordered be ok? I should have asked here first but didn’t find the site till after

Ah you'll be fine. Just may not turn out exactly as you want it. S-04 tends to cause stronger yeast flavours which aren't necessarily welcome in an IPA.

Edit: It's really hard to truly screw up a beer as long as you are clean and sanitary.

For the greater good. US-05 is good, I started with BRY-97 (which seems to be nearly identical) but it's my go to.

I too support the idea of using Safale US-05 yeast for your IPA. In truth, it is the only yeast that I have ever used. Further, IPA’s and Pale Ales are the only beers I have brewed.

You know im gradually starting to veer towards Kviek for near all my beers and recon its a great yeast to kickstart a new brewers career.

Points.
You dont need large pitch rates.
Underpitching is beneficial.
Tight Temperature control isnt needed actually keeping it warm is more important.
Quick fermentations for impatient new brewers.
Quick turnarounds on the beer.
Quick starts to fermentation (less time for foreign bugs to take hold of the wort).

I gave some kviek to a brewer returning to the fold last week and may have hooked him on the HB rabit hole again.

I have 3 different variants I am playing with and may end up with just those.

I have 3 different variants I am playing with and may end up with just those.
Im thinking of doing some Kviek blending for example some voss slurry with some Hornindal slurry.
Im thinking some citrus notes from voss and tropical notes from the hornindal....
Whats your thoughts Hawkbox?

You know im gradually starting to veer towards Kviek for near all my beers and recon its a great yeast to kickstart a new brewers career.

Points.
Tight Temperature control isnt needed actually keeping it warm is more important.
Quick starts to fermentation (less time for foreign bugs to take hold of the wort).

I gave some kviek to a brewer returning to the fold last week and may have hooked him on the HB rabit hole again.
It's been my go to for the past few months. I have found I like to use typical fermentation temps and just put my collection chamber from my last batch on my conical, open the valve and let it go. And! Use a blow off tube for the 1st 24 hrs. Even under pressure, I get way to much krausen, and I got tired of pulling apart and cleaning my blowtie.

It's been my go to for the past few months. I have found I like to use typical fermentation temps and just put my collection chamber from my last batch on my conical, open the valve and let it go. And! Use a blow off tube for the 1st 24 hrs. Even under pressure, I get way to much krausen, and I got tired of pulling apart and cleaning my blowtie.
Wow!
Yep i had my butterfly valve screwed down tight when i put it on the fermentor at pitch woke up next morning and it was crazily fermenting away at 25PSI:D

Points.

I’m interested in this..

Im thinking of doing some Kviek blending for example some voss slurry with some Hornindal slurry.
Im thinking some citrus notes from voss and tropical notes from the hornindal....
Whats your thoughts Hawkbox?

I've got the Voss, Hothead (Hornindal?) and Midbust variants. I ordered the MIdbust directly from Norway. Interesting idea though.

Back