My first Brew - American IPA

jaywaycon

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone

The primary fermentation on my first ever brew is almost complete - probably needs another day or two just to confirm FG.

When i've sampled it, i've noticed it has quite a milky appearance. Will the brew clear at all? Im not too worried as ive had some great tasting beers that are cloudy/milky but i'm just wondering.

It tastes great BTW

Hey everyone

The primary fermentation on my first ever brew is almost complete - probably needs another day or two just to confirm FG.

When i've sampled it, i've noticed it has quite a milky appearance. Will the brew clear at all? Im not too worried as ive had some great tasting beers that are cloudy/milky but i'm just wondering.

It tastes great BTW
Give it some time. It'll clear. Maybe not all the way but what you're looking at now is yeast still in suspension. It's cleaning up diacetyl and other off flavors. Your beer will be much better in a week or so.

I second the above, give it some time, you can't rush a good thing!
Do you have the ability to cold crash after fermentation?
That will clear it up a bit too.

I second the above, give it some time, you can't rush a good thing!
Do you have the ability to cold crash after fermentation?
That will clear it up a bit too.
The only thing i have is a chest freezer and i would worry i end up freezing it solid.

The only thing i have is a chest freezer and i would worry i end up freezing it solid.
This brewing deal is a bit of a rabbit hole, or more accurately a series of rabbit holes.
Worst case scenario it doesn't clear as much as you would hope, but it shouldn't have much if any affect on the flavor (which is the #1 priority).
Are you kegging, or bottling?

This brewing deal is a bit of a rabbit hole, or more accurately a series of rabbit holes.
Worst case scenario it doesn't clear as much as you would hope, but it shouldn't have much if any affect on the flavor (which is the #1 priority).
Are you kegging, or bottling?
I'll be bottling. Is there a preference to transferring the beer from the fermenting bucket via the tap at the bottom or a Syphon?

I'll be bottling. Is there a preference to transferring the beer from the fermenting bucket via the tap at the bottom or a Syphon?
That would depend on the thickness of your trub/yeast layer, and if the spigot is above that or not.
If you can drain from fermenting bucket to bottling bucket, go for it.

I second the notion of giving it a little more time. My regular routine is to leave brew in primary fermenter for at least 3 weeks, and my brews (pale ales and IPA’s) get bottled, and are generally clear. A recent brew I left in primary for 6 weeks, and that was my clearest yet. I don’t cold crash, or add any finings, just basic brewing.
Welcome to the party.

If you're bottling I would transfer simply because stirring in the priming sugar would likely cause trub to stir back up too. If you have patience do like Herms, if you don't do like me and package it 7 or 8 days in cause you keg and then have the last 3-4 pints be truly clear.

Back