Heading to Ireland and Scotland next week, any recommendations?

Never been to Ireland and only a week in Scotland many many years ago, but if I were in your shoes now, I would want to try to hit up the BrewDog brewery!

If you make it to Dublin, St. James Gate has a great self guided tour and some tasty beers, and the Jameson distillery is within walking distance.
St James Gate.jpg

Most of our time there was visiting my wife's family and friends, but we did spend some time walking around downtown. After leaving Dublin and a short stay with family in Co Cavan, we continued North to Donegal City. After some sight seeing there, we traveled as far South as Dingle, stopping wherever and whenever we had the urge.

Some of my favorite places were the Killybegs Harbor, North of Donegal City
Killybegs Harbor.jpg

Kylemore Abbey, just North of Galway City, and the nearby Fjords. The seafood in both Killybegs and Galway City was some of the best I've ever had and the night life in Galway City was fantastic.
Galway City.jpg

My wife's brother, who lives in Tralee did all of the driving and stopped at so many interesting places along the way that the names are a blur. Before heading back to Dublin we stayed with his daughter and her family in a 300+ year old thatch roofed house for a few days in the Camp/Deelis area of the Dingle Peninsula.
Deelis House.jpg

The beaches and scenery in the area were great, as was the food. Dingle Harbor and the pubs in the area were great as was the drive back up the coast to Camp/Deelis.
Dingle Penninsula.jpg

We spent 2 1/2 weeks and could have easily doubled that and enjoyed every minute. Every where you go there are things to see and do. One of the most amazing things is the amount of rock work of many different styles. There's so much of it that you'd think there wasn't another rock left on the whole island :)

I have drove on the left
in Australia before so we'll see how that goes again.

Last edited:
I commented to my wife that her brother was a maniac. She answered that all Irish drivers were. No truer words were ever spoken. Nothing scarier than a bunch of maniacs all driving on the wrong side of the road :) By the time we were ready to leave, I thought my knuckles were permanently white.

My recommendations would be to try the beer and the whiskey while you are there. Haven't heard a bad thing about either!

Ok, Craigerr, here you go. As they were closing the door of the A330 people's phones were going nuts. Trump had just announced the travel ban and given incomplete information about 200 got off.

My wife and said "we're going" 80 people on board. Got to Ireland and the immigration officer asks the usual questions and then starts joking about.

Sir do you drink alcohol?
Yes sir
Well I hear it kills the virus you should try it!

And so we did.

More later

Ok, Craigerr, here you go. As they were closing the door of the A330 people's phones were going nuts. Trump had just announced the travel ban and given incomplete information about 200 got off.

My wife and said "we're going" 80 people on board. Got to Ireland and the immigration officer asks the usual questions and then starts joking about.

Sir do you drink alcohol?
Yes sir
Well I hear it kills the virus you should try it!

And so we did.

More later

Getting out of hand here, just about all sporting events cancelled this weekend and people panic-buying toilet roll all over the country. Pubs are still open though :)

Have a great trip.

Getting out of hand here, just about all sporting events cancelled this weekend and people panic-buying toilet roll all over the country. Pubs are still open though :)

Have a great trip.
Same here in Aus on the dunny rolls WTF!

Same here. Went to Sam's Club (big membership warehouse) Thursday for some shopping and they were almost out of toilet paper and sanitizing wipes. If things get really bad, there'll be a lot of starving people out there, but they'll have plenty of toilet paper :) Of all the things to hoard, why toilet paper?
Someone on the homebrewing sub reddit posted they were stocking up on grains while they were still available. His logic was that you can wile your a$$ with anything, but you need grains to brew beer:)

I’m set for my next beer (British Bitter). After that plenty of grains and hops, a few packs of dry yeast. Maybe it’s time to try a pale with bread yeast... I have about a quart jar full of that stuff.

Enjoy the trip Frosty! Send pics.

News flash, all pubs and hotel bars in Ireland are ordered closed by the government today.

Having some technical difficulty posting photos and have been to busy receiving inoculations to repair said difficulty.

Not leaving early to get in the cluster eff at the arrival airports at this time. It's bound to get better.

To be continued.

News flash, all pubs and hotel bars in Ireland are ordered closed by the government today.

Having some technical difficulty posting photos and have been to busy receiving inoculations to repair said difficulty.

Not leaving early to get in the cluster eff at the arrival airports at this time. It's bound to get better.

To be continued.

Yea. wife just got a text from her brother in Co Kerry advising her of the pubs being closed. Hope you've had a chance to enjoy some of their fine brews already.

To be continued.
Ah that sux bottle shops still open?

Back