Heading to Ireland and Scotland next week, any recommendations?

It may get worse before it gets better, talk is of it lasting 14 weeks so right into early June. Advice yesterday was to not go to the pub (among other places) so the industry is going to be in for a rocky ride.

This will see off a lot of small business, bars and brewers will be among the casualties for sure. Fingers crossed that it's overkill and we get back to normal more quickly than we are currently expecting. What a really unfortunate time to be visiting.

Ben, yep no worries.

Steve, it is going to be a very troubling time for most small businesses. We had a great time even with the restrictions. So many wonderful local people willing to share stories. I know that they are going to restrict things more so we are out of here tomorrow.

Ben, yep no worries.

Steve, it is going to be a very troubling time for most small businesses. We had a great time even with the restrictions. So many wonderful local people willing to share stories. I know that they are going to restrict things more so we are out of here tomorrow.

Safe travels. Scotland or home? Scotland seems to be better off than most of the UK just now, maybe the cold or the sparse population, but travel generally seems to be really tricky and getting trickier.

Ben, yep no worries.

Godspeed Steve, safe trip home

I could change my ticket for no charge but the only seats left were business/first class but the upgrade fee was less than economy on a new ticket. So it was awful to have a lie flat seat. <g>

We did see some interesting things. While walking through St Stephen's Green we found some Leprechauns bowling. It was a wee drinking game:
bowling.png
bowlers.png

Attachments

• bowling.png
    bowling.png
    3 MB · Views: 73
Brilliant! So many questions from that picture; wonder what the rules are?

Business class is tough for sure, but the transition back to cattle class is tougher in my limited experience :)

Brilliant! So many questions from that picture; wonder what the rules are?
Well they had an american football, and bowled it at the bottle in the center. If the bowling team knocked it down they got to drink until the opposing team stood the center bottle back up. The first team to finish their beers won. And then they started again.

cattle class
Yes I usually fly advanced cattle class because I'm too tall. I had a code share connection from Schiphol to Dublin that was painful, and then they lost our bags. That's the fourth time now. I used to work in Helsinki.

Yes I usually fly advanced cattle class because I'm too tall. I had a code share connection from Schiphol to Dublin that was painful, and then they lost our bags. That's the fourth time now. I used to work in Helsinki.

Four times seems exceptionally clumsy, hope you and all your bags get home without too much pain.

It's going to be interesting times here for pubs. Government so far is refusing to close them but plenty of people staying away anyway. I think the industry will be decimated out of this, lots of others I guess too.

Before they closed them most of the pubs had a few locals in them and there was no wait

Ireland a bit ahead of the game with pub closures but it's coming our way as well I think. Just heard that California has gone into lockdown

The USA may just become a BIG Italy real soon, here are the stats as of 00:00GMT (approximately 16 hours ago) sorted by new cases.
CV19 - 2020-0319.JPG

The USA may just become a BIG Italy real soon, here are the stats as of 00:00GMT (approximately 16 hours ago) sorted by new cases.
View attachment 9094
juhu! only 4th place here... o_O
crazy is when you look at the delta between total cases and death :(
...'course the stats are pretty wonky, because not all who have had the virus have been tested.

This is the scary stat, 10% of cases which have an outcome, resulted in death.
Screenshot_20200320-125507_Chrome.jpg

Interesting that China seems to be over the worst, I'm assuming that's why Bell End Boris is talking about 12 weeks.

Also interesting that no African country is there. I wonder if that's a reporting thing rather than anything else though? I imagine this disease ripping through densely populated cities and townships with poor healthcare and sanitation, would be devastating.

I feel that the big impact will be economic rather than medical, UK isn't really back to normal after 2008 yet. Put this on top and normal might well be something new that we've never seen before.

Interesting times for sure.

This is the scary stat, 10% of cases which have an outcome, resulted in death.

That needs comparing to regular seasonal flu to have any meaning though doesn't it? Anyone know what that looks like?

That needs comparing to regular seasonal flu to have any meaning though doesn't it? Anyone know what that looks like?
it is only a very small snapshot I could grab quickly, but in 2016 24.1/100000 people died by flu here in Germany
Ref: https://www.destatis.de/DE/Themen/Querschnitt/Jahrbuch/jb-gesundheit.pdf?__blob=publicationFile
PS, I love destatis!!! :D

PPS, I think 2018 was pretty bad here, so the stats may look a bit different..if I can dig them up.
AND HUGE CAVEAT: I only have the stats for Germany, not the rest of the world!

We're at the bottom of that list when it comes to cases per million population.

Right, so 2.41% Puts a bit of perspective on it. Nasty but not armageddon

Back