Your Favorite 5 Hops

Over The Cliff Brewing

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
There's lots of beers being brewed and thus lots of different hops used in these beers. List your top 5 hops you use other than strictly bittering hops.

Bru-1
Citra
Sabro
Hallertau Mittlefruh
Mandarina Bavaria

Willamette
Sterling
Nelson Sauvin
Pilgrim (Replacing EKG as my English hops of choice)
Citra (or Cascade :))

EKG
Hallertau Mittlefruh
Tettnang
Challenger
Cascade (although I don’t use it to brew much but buying beer I look)
@Megary explain Pilgram hops, especially if it knocks my go to off :)

EKG
Hallertau Mittlefruh
Tettnang
Challenger
Cascade (although I don’t use it to brew much but buying beer I look)
@Megary explain Pilgram hops, especially if it knocks my go to off :)
Hard to describe...think EKG or Fuggles with less English woody/earthy aroma ("dirty" in the case of Fuggles :p). I'm getting herbal and a bit of fruitiness with Pilgrim. I've seen some descriptions of "honey", and I can see that too. Again, it's hard to put into words, but let's just say I find it a bit more aroma friendly than EKG. I still like EKG, but Pilgrim is a nice, all-around change of pace. I have it in a Bitter right now.

Hard to describe...think EKG or Fuggles with less English woody/earthy aroma ("dirty" in the case of Fuggles :p). I'm getting herbal and a bit of fruitiness with Pilgrim. I've seen some descriptions of "honey", and I can see that too. Again, it's hard to put into words, but let's just say I find it a bit more aroma friendly than EKG. I still like EKG, but Pilgrim is a nice, all-around change of pace. I have it in a Bitter right now.
I’ll buy some for me next run of bitters in the spring.

I'm all over the place with my beers, but Cascade, Saaz, Fuggle, EKG, and more recently I'm starting to play with Crystal.
I normally like to use mid/low alpha hops, so they can go either way..bittering or not.
I want to play with Mosaic again in a Pale Ale at some point.

I'm all over the place with my beers, but Cascade, Saaz, Fuggle, EKG, and more recently I'm starting to play with Crystal.
I normally like to use mid/low alpha hops, so they can go either way..bittering or not.
I want to play with Mosaic again in a Pale Ale at some point.
Mosaic is pretty versatile.

This is a tough one, I looked back at what I bought the most of in the past couple years. turns out
Citra
Mosic
Amarillo
Cascade
Simcoe are what I seem to use a lot of.
But l really like Comet and Chinook, and lately I am really loving Zappa and Styrian Wolf.

Back