Yeast Capture

I've had beers look like those two pictures of white films when fermentation didn't kick off within 24 hours. I never figured out the chemical in question, but those are likely infections. For the two beers that happened, they both tasted and smelled like young (not ripe) pineapple and tasted 'infected' to the point I developed a cough drinking them. I finished one keg and haven't died yet, so perhaps no harm done. (that was 5 years ago) I dumped the second batch.

Also, check out: https://bootlegbiology.com/diy/capturing-yeast/ if you haven't already. It looks like you were trying something like Method #1. It is risky. Since you know you want to capture from the Mandarins, I'd go with Method #2 which is both less chance of baddies, and more likely to only get what you are after rather than a roll of the dice.

Brett can create enzymes to turn butyric acid into ethyl butyrate, which is a tinned pineapple, tropical fruit ester. Brett. Clausenii is good at this.

I posted my reply too early! I think that is exactly what happened to my two infected batches. I had a white film (pellicle?) on top and they both tasted like strong young pineapple. So I'm guessing ethyl butyrate is the compound I was looking for, and the cause was a wild Brett infection.

Kinda like a big starter.
Or a mini fermentation :D.

Interesting still as no krausen observed in them this time.

I removed the diptube from the mulberrie one last night as I'm gunna close the fermentation either today and tomorrow and thought that tubes gunna disturb the trub once I decide to crash and eventually serve.

Well I had a Snifter of the tube and it had a nice fruity pineapple aroma to it hmmm here's hoping :).

@Mont Y. Märzen funny i then read your post lol

Last edited:
I've had beers look like those two pictures of white films when fermentation didn't kick off within 24 hours. I never figured out the chemical in question, but those are likely infections. For the two beers that happened, they both tasted and smelled like young (not ripe) pineapple and tasted 'infected' to the point I developed a cough drinking them. I finished one keg and haven't died yet, so perhaps no harm done. (that was 5 years ago) I dumped the second batch.

Also, check out: https://bootlegbiology.com/diy/capturing-yeast/ if you haven't already. It looks like you were trying something like Method #1. It is risky. Since you know you want to capture from the Mandarins, I'd go with Method #2 which is both less chance of baddies, and more likely to only get what you are after rather than a roll of the dice.
Cheers Monty yes I have you are right and yes I will check out bootleg biology I'm sure I have along with the mad fermentationist.

My understanding is if I have A added hops B added Acid to the capture wort I'll "most likely" be catching some good bacteria and yeast because the baddies so to speak don't like low PH media and the presence of hop bitterness inhibits bad bacteria growth.?

Thanks again I'll check out that link man.

Cheers Monty yes I have you are right and yes I will check out bootleg biology I'm sure I have along with the mad fermentationist.

My understanding is if I have A added hops B added Acid to the capture wort I'll "most likely" be catching some good bacteria and yeast because the baddies so to speak don't like low PH media and the presence of hop bitterness inhibits bad bacteria growth.?

Thanks again I'll check out that link man.
Bootleg or others would be best to pose the pH question to, but if I was going to try it from the hip, I'd at least mimic the pH of beer in a fermenter. There's lots of data out there on that question. I usually shoot for about 5.0 at the beginning of fermentation. The yeast take it another .5-1.5 lower depending on yeast and wort contents. If you have something like phosphoric acid that wouldn't influence flavor (and maybe the yeast, I don't know) try getting it that low initially. I'm not sure in that case if hops are necessary, but they may not hurt either.

Similar to what I have been doing Monty just using wort that was pinched from a batch of beer I was making the presence of hops and and acidic medium are two as well as reducing exposure to oxygen sorta like when you ferment vegetables helps reduce the growth of mould.

OK I popped the Mulberry yeast captured beer in the keezer the other day.

It was made using wort from the Q4 quarterly brew which I've still got in the fermenter.

So to draw a sorta comparrison of it vs Nova Lager yeast in that beer I drew some beer from the kegmenter to do a side by side
20231101_191905.jpg

The beer on left is Quarterly brew the right is mulberrie yeast capture nailed the colour hey!

No head on the yeast capture well to be fair it tried to throw one but it scattered away to the edge of the glass quickly.

It went down to 1.025 from 1.065 but I watered it down so not sure on actual OG yeah I suck lol:rolleyes: next one I promise I'll do better ...

Anyhow we'll it smells clean but no fruitiness I got the other day. I think that was the Rasberry capture but...

It tastes fairly clean too notes say a touch medicinal and thin body compared to the Q4 Nova lager brew (I believe maybe could be some tartness causing this that just not comming across enough to express itself that way). There's plenty of sweetness to this beer..

My Nova batch finished at 1.032 so honestly I'm getting a sorta barleywine type nuance off this brew main batch.

Anyhow sorta disappointed to say the truth in this one I was hoping for more funk or tartness but then again I'm not being patient enough.

I'll pop the Rasberry one in the keezer and maybe to a side by side by side on the weekend or next.

Here's bottom of the bottle def some yeast dropped outta there...
20231101_191911.jpg

I'm thinking maybe not the right kinda wort to be using this wild yeast in either.
I might try some rice lager wort next brew...

Revisiting my left overs from them two bottles I fermented with Ozarks Q4 Amber
20231103_194441.jpg

After tasting a lacklustre results from the fermentation above I thought I'll do a side by side on these two.

So on brew day these two are form both yeasts just left overs I didn't use.

The one on the left is pretty clean the one on the right is super sour! I'm sure this is the wild Rasberries capture its got some something something going on it's exciting and what I'm looking forward with this wild yeast thing.

Sour enough to make me salivate lol I feel it's a sour if not more than my mature Kombucha then I've left it two or more weeks.

It's also got a nice subtle fruity think going on.
It's pretty acidic but.

OK I gotta try that other bottle:)

Q4- RASBERRY - MULBERRY
20231112_164232.jpg

Got the three in Glass and the Q4 on left which the wort was taken to make these these two wernt Dry hopped as per Q4 with Centennial.

So it smells malty and subtle hops from them Centennial clean and malty flavour.

The Rasberry one wasn't as exciting as I was expecting it has a fruity smell first up but as it warmed and expressed itself more I got a sorta smoked usual Aroma it tasted pretty clean had a acidic thing going on but just subtle.
It was the hazyest of the lot with the Rasberry one actu being the Clearest!

The Rasberry one was similar to Q4 but without the Dry hop it has sweet Caramel bready aroma. It was a lighter body than Mulberry it has a meniscus on the surface as well if I tilted the glass back and forth a pellicle of sorta but clear. It had a sourness to it.
It is the favourite of the two.

So once again underwhelmed by this but also amazed how clean they both are considering they were bot inoculated using fruit!

Next batch of beer I make I'm gunna ferment some lighter looking beer in these both and see what we get.

Cheers.

Today I revisited my two favourites of my wild yeast captures.

They have been sitting patiently in my keezer slowly fermenting as i found out today when i though "oh ill havd a little tasty tasty"

well the first bottle the Rasberry capture jumped out the bottle on me so I just tasted foam! But the foam was noice and fruity man it was good not sourness mind you.
20240217_090525.jpg

How pretty does that look to bad it all jumped out lol!

so after that happened i thought come on lets get jiggy with it and try the other bottle.

Heres a clip rough and reddy but you get my drift.

Just a few birds chirping there mate! I guess that's life down under!

Today I revisited my two favourites of my wild yeast captures.

They have been sitting patiently in my keezer slowly fermenting as i found out today when i though "oh ill havd a little tasty tasty"

well the first bottle the Rasberry capture jumped out the bottle on me so I just tasted foam! But the foam was noice and fruity man it was good not sourness mind you.
View attachment 28487
How pretty does that look to bad it all jumped out lol!

so after that happened i thought come on lets get jiggy with it and try the other bottle.

Heres a clip rough and reddy but you get my drift.
Waaay over carbonated :eek: .

Back