Who is brewing today?

85%. OG 1.080 FG 1.023. Vigorous fermentation started within 6 hours. Using Wyeast Irish ale 1084. Keeping fermentation temps at 18c.
You smashed it mate congratulations. Great efficiency too btw I haven't hit 85% yet off a mash I think by memory my best efficiency is 83%. :)

The primary is finished on the IPA I made with the WL090 San Diego Super Yeast and the Fast Fermenter. I am pleased to say that I hit a 1.006 FG even though the recipe estimated a 1.009 FG - outstanding attenuation!

As for the fermenter, I am happy as can be. It was simple swapping out the collection balls, and now I have a culture of the 090 ready to start for a new brew. I will probably bottle Sunday as the brew looks pretty bright already and the remainder of the trub that had backed up into the conical hopper part of the vessel has already moved into the new collection ball. To bottle, I'll remove the collection ball and attach the bottle hose barb and hose.

This is the fastest kettle to bottle I've had so far and I credit the use of high quality yeast and the new fermenter.

I like the fast fermentors with a sample port it takes a lot of risk of infection out of the fermenting equation

I like the fast fermentors with a sample port it takes a lot of risk of infection out of the fermenting equation
Yeah, I ordered a sample port on Amazon yesterday. I have a whiskey thief that works great but I agree, if I can add a spigot it'll make it even easier to test. Provided bottling goes as well, I'll be getting a few more of these Fast Fermenter setups.

Yeah, I ordered a sample port on Amazon yesterday. I have a whiskey thief that works great but I agree, if I can add a spigot it'll make it even easier to test. Provided bottling goes as well, I'll be getting a few more of these Fast Fermenter setups.
Too pricey for me. I'll stick to the thief.

I agree brewing in cheat until you get your system down once you get your system down should be okay

Yep that yeast is pretty special me thinks too wood house I knew you would be happy with it just wait until you taste the finished product it will put a smile on your dile;).

I'll put it to you this way, Trialben, I drank my whole sample! It was delicious. I dry hopped 1 Oz of centennial pellets today to really set it off as an IPA...I can smell the hops when I walk by the fermenter...I'm looking forward to this one.

Just starting to sample some of the brews I started right after Christmas. Five out of 7 that I brewed for the big party next weekend are in the kegs and carbing up. The last two will go in kegs tomorrow and next day and should just have time to get carbed. Those are the London brown ale and Guinnes clone that need lower carb for style, anyway.

Of the ones that are sample-able, the Bitter is spot on, the Sorachi Saison session ale is really intriguing and eminently drinkable, the big spiced winter wheat is hard to turn away from, the hoppy session pale ale is simply a delight. ;)

The one I'm going to have a hard time staying out of until the party, though, is the light lager I brewed first. It's perfectly ready to serve at 27 days since brew, but it'll get even better in the next week. It's a very simple little Pilsner/corn lager with a small amount of Vienna, Magnum/Hallertau hops and fermented with S-23 yeast at cool room temp. It's light, clean and crisp with plenty of dry malt and that perfect just-bitter-enough-ever-so-slightly-skunky hop flavor and aroma that only nobel hops, light malt and lager yeast can give you. It's going in the House Brew lineup with no alteration whatsoever and will be back up on the schedule ASAP. :)

Well well JA all that enjoyable hard work is paying off for you and you are tasting the results. Hay I'm not sure if you read the brulosophy exbeerments but they just did a yeast comparison with your s-23 fermentis dry yeast and my dry lager yeast of choice 34/70 you will like the results;).

Yea that is an impressive line up of beverage s JA it would cater for all pallets :p.

I'm sure they will be well received.

Reactions: J A
I've used the 34/70 too. No problem with it at all. I've got a packet or two and a nice American Pils all lined up and ready to go as soon as I get through the party and have some fermenter space. :)

Good morning all...so, the Pilsner with the CaraPils that everyone was curious about...(the one that froze!)

The CaraPils Pilsner came out with a FG of 1.009 (6.69 ABV) despite the freeze. It looks, smells, and tastes pretty darn good. It's lagering at 34 deg. F now - I installed a false bottom in the freezer so the carboy is off the freezer element and I purchased a carboy thermal well stopper and now the temp. probe is in the middle of the beer. It is pretty darn bright already but I'm looking forward to a high ABV, clear and crisp, bright beer when this is done. I will be force carbonating it in a corney keg when it's and finished lagering.

Style-wise it doesn't seem too far off, but I'll do a formal tasting against a traditional Pilsner when it's finished.

I am. A bock using up my mittlefrue. Pilsner Munich wheat. Dsmn it smells good

Got that XPA brewed yesterday , no chill and full volume boils do make for an easier day
Was a little messy at the end after deciding to toddle off to pub during the mash but hit my targets again

Only time will tell how bitter it will come out but quick chilled samples certainly need more punch

Got that XPA brewed yesterday , no chill and full volume boils do make for an easier day
Was a little messy at the end after deciding to toddle off to pub during the mash but hit my targets again

Only time will tell how bitter it will come out but quick chilled samples certainly need more punch
So that's your first run using the urn mark you got all your water volumes and dead space sorted. When did you start your Bittering hops for this cube brew 30min? I bet you'll love doing full volume boil then trying to calculate dilution every brew.

Looks like you ticked all the boxes nice drinking a beer and knowing your making more for down the track:).

I'd already done a dry run with just water to see what boil off I'd get and how much dead space ect know that cube holds 22.5 litres cold so made things easy

Im brewing a 5 gallon extract version of my Amber Bock, 2 ingredients 6 pounds of amber DME and 3 oz of roasted barley I added some lite dme about a pound just to up the alcohol. hops are Magnum only 1/2 oz at 60 and 1/2 oz at 5, should be interesting Ive never used Magnum for flavor before, actually no hops should be present after aging so it doesn't really matter

Last edited:
I used a Magnum late addition in an "Oktoberbock" and it was great. Added a note to the hops that the Mittlefruh could never get alone. Very nice flavor and a touch of extra hoppiness in the aroma. I'll definitely be doing something similar. Sounds like a recipe like that might benefit from some Saphir or Opal at the end.Those tend to add a little citrus note in the nobel-hoppy mix. I've mostly used them in light beers but I think I'll try that combo in a Boston Lager clone recipe when I get around to brewing it.

Magnum's famous for its neutral bitterness but why not use it for a late addition? It has a nice aroma....

Back