What's all the smoke, eh?

Ward Chillington

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
What's with the forest fires my Canadian fellow brewers? @Hawkbox ! @Craigerrr ! What's going on? Ya made a mess outta NYC!

upload_2023-6-7_20-24-7.png

Last edited:
I would suggest that the smoke in NYC would be due to the fires burning in Quebec.
The air quality isn't the greatest where I am in Southwestern Ontario, but it is expected to be at a record worst today.
The nearest fires to us are 4 hours to the east, and about 6 hours to the north.
We are located where the green dot and arrow are.
I have heard that the area of forests consumed this year so far already exceed the norm for a year.
Everyone please pray for rain, haven't had any for a loooong time...
upload_2023-6-8_7-18-6.png

Smoke-rise today in Delaware
2BF03257-E5F6-4687-ADDD-D969E1A88ACB.jpeg

I have as friend that lives in Edmonton AB and she said the air is not great there either

7:30 this morning north central Maryland
20230608_074039.jpg

Visibility was about a 1/2 mile. Nowhere close to NYC but really weird and smelled like buring Styrofoam.
The cows were lying down on the drive home @Craigerrr , so maybe the prayers are working!

Crazy video there @jschein !

Last edited:
We have had some bad fires too in years past in May when rainy season came late. I do hope y'all get a good dumping of rain without the lightning. Been there, done that. It ain't fun.

Yup Australia sent fire-fighters over thar yonder to Maple land.

I hope the blaze gets put out soon!
And plenty of rain to follow!

There are now more than 400 fires burning across Canada

Down here, you never know what you will get. I was shockingly driving home from a brewery last weekend (lol), 4 miles from my house the road was flooded from a crazy thunderstorm. When I got home, it was bone dry.

It is a big country, and I don't know about the effected areas, but we had rain start here yesterday afternoon, and it rained through the night. It was still raining pretty heavily on my way to work this morning. There is rain expected over the next several days, hopefully this helps...
Screenshot_20230612-134336_Weather Network.jpg

It is a big country, and I don't know about the effected areas, but we had rain start here yesterday afternoon, and it rained through the night. It was still raining pretty heavily on my way to work this morning. There is rain expected over the next several days, hopefully this helps...
View attachment 25690
Wow over 9 million acres burning.
As a side note, every time I see Celsius I need to convert in my head then google to get exact number. Do you do the same if I post 81 Fahrenheit? Asking for a friend

We finally got rain today as well...I hope it makes a difference for us all buddy

Wow over 9 million acres burning.
As a side note, every time I see Celsius I need to convert in my head then google to get exact number. Do you do the same if I post 81 Fahrenheit? Asking for a friend
I grew up in F, and had to start converting to C when I was in grade 7 or 8. It is actually odd, there are areas where I get it instantly, like the temperature outside, I am bilingual in that, and boiling is easy 100 is 212. The middle area is muddy for me, I still truly think in F between say 60C and 90C. I have to convert to F for a reference point. Brewing is bridging that gap with mash Temps, and mash out Temps. Weight and volume are the same, I still have to convert to imperial or American in a lot of cases. Does anyone know why there are imperial volumes and American volumes?

I gotta convert everything to metric for it to make sense
Although I'm getting a little better with rough ideas.
I've always lived in 100% metric countries

Back