What are you reading now?

Josh Hughes

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
IMG_0923.png

IMG_0924.jpeg

The top book just came out. Looking forward to digging in. The history book, well I always have a history book to read.

Curious on the 1st book Josh. It says it's a reference book. Is it? To me reference books are lists of names, dates, formulas, lists, etc. Something you grab off the shelf when you need a specific piece of info. While a true reference book on 19th century Bavarian brewers would be nice to have, I can't say it would be stay-up-late page-turner of a book.

Just came out so I haven’t read much just the introduction. I’d say not a page turner probably as you described. He says it’s “beer nerdy”. His other 2 books are more like that. Both of those are very useful and informative. Here is the table of contents.
IMG_0925.png
IMG_0926.png
IMG_0927.png
IMG_0928.png

Just came out so I haven’t read much just the introduction. I’d say not a page turner probably as you described. He says it’s “beer nerdy”. His other 2 books are more like that. Both of those are very useful and informative. Here is the table of contents. View attachment 26253 View attachment 26254 View attachment 26255 View attachment 26256

That does look interesting. I like the way they organized it into topic-brewers-chronology. You know we'll expect a book report on this by the end of the semester Josh! :D

Curious on the 1st book Josh. It says it's a reference book. Is it? To me reference books are lists of names, dates, formulas, lists, etc. Something you grab off the shelf when you need a specific piece of info. While a true reference book on 19th century Bavarian brewers would be nice to have, I can't say it would be stay-up-late page-turner of a book.
First 30 pages or so is a good history of regulations. Nearly the rest of the first half of the book is malting and kilning malt. Lots of repetition since multiple Bavarian malting methods described, but other places described and compared as well. @Trialben may enjoy all of that.

Last edited:
I read a lot of books on my kindle.
Just bought "call me mrs Brown" by Brendan O'Carroll of mrs Brown's boys fame.
Currently reading "the book seller of Inverness".

First 30 pages or so is a good history of regulations. Nearly the rest of the first half of the book is malting and kilning malt. Lots of repetition since multiple Bavarian malting methods described, but other places described and compared as well. @Trialben may enjoy all of that.
Alright I can’t take it anymore haha. It’s a reference book, really cool to read all the subtle differences in the brewing process. Stuff started running together.

My Wifes Opa was taken prisoner of war in the Dutch East Indies by the Japanese WW2. This book is illustrated buy DUTCHMAN Otto Kreefft
20230830_194718.jpg

It's a visual record of the brutality these men endured under the hands of their captors the Japanese whilst building the Burma Railway.

61000 Australian, English, Dutch and American POWs

415 KM of railway
Six Million Cubic meter of soil excavated
Three million cubic meters of Rock
300m of elevation
All by these MEN!

a sobering read...

Last edited:

Back