What are you drinking right now?

View attachment 26344

Founders Breakfast Stout clone. Delicious, but head retention is minimal. Big bubbles, then nothing. Still... YUM!
Founders Breakfast Stout is one of my favorites. I do a clone of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout, but add cacao nibs to it for more chocolate flavor. Everything I do with Crystal 60 in it tends to have poor head retention. Then again, it may just be I drink it too soon.:rolleyes:

OEC - Orenji Blend #2

Summer beer! Tastes like a blend of a nice sour, Prosecco, and oranges. Diggin’ it.

IMG_1289.jpeg

Founders Breakfast Stout is one of my favorites. I do a clone of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout, but add cacao nibs to it for more chocolate flavor. Everything I do with Crystal 60 in it tends to have poor head retention. Then again, it may just be I drink it too soon.:rolleyes:
Probably the problem here. It's only 14 days old, and going down fast!

View attachment 26354 My Summer Saison. Both my wife and I like the flavor. However, I can really sense the residual sweetness, as this brew did not “dry out” nearly enough, finishing at 1.014. I want to brew this again, maybe mashing a little lower, and using relatively fresh slurry to hopefully achieve a drier finish. Still, this is a good first attempt at the style.
You can dry it out some more with some candi sugar oy syrup in place of a little grain too.

View attachment 26374 Summer Saison, taking advice on how to dry it out next time. Thanks @Sandy Feet
I watched a lot of videos and read a lot of online articles before I made my first one. Things I read that worked:
Mash low 148 or 149. Pitch healthy - I don't use starters but I do use a second packet of yeast in my 5 gallon batches. You might want to try a liquid if you can get one.
Ferment low to high. I started around 68. After krausen fell, I started ramping up temperatures. I think the French likes mid 70s. The Belgian likes to finish in the 80s. The French strain will get really dry if you can find it.
Use a little simple sugar to get it dry as well. The Belgian Blondes and Trippels have a lot of simple sugars.
My grain bill for both were very simple - 2lbs White Wheat, the rest Pils. I might want to try some Vienna in the next one, but the grain is super simple. It is just getting the yeast to do its thing and giving it some time to condition that makes it come out well.

Last edited:
I am liking my Summer Saison more each day, and my wife thinks it is a fine brew.
As for yeast, remember I used an expired packet of Lallemand Farmhouse Hybrid Saison-style dry yeast, and kept a 12 ounce jar of very fine looking slurry from that batch. That slurry is just a couple weeks old, and I hope it’s freshness will help achieve a higher apparent attenuation than the original packet. I think another batch, using the same grain bill with maybe a substitution of a little honey is in order. As for controlling fermentation temperature - I am at the mercy of the weather. It would be easy enough to start fermentation in the high 60’s F, but then it would free rise to whatever is the ambient temp in my closet.

GF BunyipView attachment 26379
Nice happy with this great depth of hop flavor just a tad grassy on the finish I think from extended hop contact but good first attempt at a hoppy beer:)
I wonder, Ben, if that grass in your hand is contributing to that grassy finish at all?

I wonder, Ben, if that grass in your hand is contributing to that grassy finish at all?
I put that bait out and you bit Donoroto :D

Their chives mate Garlic Chives to be exact!:)

I was needing some liquid nourishment whilst making some Chicken and leak soup.

It's faint that Grass lol ;)

I put that bait out and you bit Donoroto :D

Their chives mate Garlic Chives to be exact!:)

I was needing some liquid nourishment whilst making some Chicken and leak soup.

It's faint that Grass lol ;)
Beautiful plant. Not sure about the time difference but 8pm here; I was adding chives to one of my regular evening meals: Cheesy Potato & Broccoli gratin accompanied by a dry Pear cider that wasn't very dry nor carbonated but it all tasted nice together. :)

MyDSC21-099a.jpg
MyDSC21-099b.jpg
MyDSC21-099c.jpg

Thanks @Herm brews for highlighting his honey priming. I eventually plucked up the courage to have a go myself. Photos 1-3 are all of my first pour of honey primed beer - budget lager extract kit (Young's Harvest range) with Mangrove Jack's Light Lliquid Dextrose and their M54 Californian yeast. Ten days in the fermenter. Just 7 days conditioned plus 2 days in the fridge and the clarity (not quite done justice on any of the shots here as with the deeper golden colour) is something like 60-70%. This seems very swiftly all round developed so is likely either down to the yeast, honey (Spanish Forest) or the combination of both. I am assuming less so the dextrose but as usual open to the knowledge base for any explanations. Assuming this lager matures okay I will be wanting to replicate it as near as.

Constant moderate carbonation already with a slight head dissipating quickly to a nice lacing which is just how I like lager. Got stuck in before checking out the nose but no nasty odours detected. Light in the mouth. Key bit is the distinct honey taste already well balanced/combined with a light to moderate hoppiness (no added dry hopping from myself).

I inverted the bottle for the second glass although most of the sediment stayed stuck to the bottom. This is both drier with an acceptable sourness that masks the honey element. I can't fully identify everything going on in there but think I can detect notes of orange and possibly faint clove, maybe even cinnamon. Very refreshing and satisfying.

Back