Trialbens Glycol Build.

Whatda they say good things come to those who wait er something like that.

Look what arrived in the mail today :D!
20220131_153339.jpg

Not one but two 4 inch pressure lids lol:p:cool:.

Maybe they threw in an extra one in case I stuff up again lol!
Ah man I didn't expect that I already know I'm gunna use that extra floating dip tube in a keg I've actually got 4 of them laying around now.

Looks like I'd better go write a thankyou email:rolleyes: for their exceptional customer service.
Cheers Kegland for being awesome.

Been doing some marking out here I think will be fine using the nuts as my guage to where to put them since their the widest points.
20220131_193756.jpg

Gunna sit tight on this tonight and maybe grab the drill out tomorrow.

Anyone spot the spelling mistake just right of the nut bottom of picture maybe that's why i got a twofa deal.
Something I'd do :p

Actually this is how crowded it is
20220131_195153.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like it will all fit this time

Anyone spot the spelling mistake just right of the nut bottom of picture maybe that's why i got a twofa deal.
Something I'd do :p

You have to befare Ben, these probably weren't manufactured in an English speaking (spelling?) country. :p

OK @Trialben, what is going on here? I'm sure I've missed early posts but I stumped.
All will be revealed shortly I hope I feel I'm the cusp of completing this glycol build.

In essence I bought a kegmenter which wouldn't fit in my freezer.
So being a stubborn ba$tard I thought I'll use glycol to cool the fermenter via a coil and suchforth.

Them holes are for the coil bulkheads and the temp probe bulkhead.

Looks like swiss cheese. At least it is a bit lighter now...:rolleyes:
Amen no one in their right mind specifically drills holes in a perfectly good pressure lid:D

I tell ya what though I'm looking forward to hooking it all up and testing it out:)!

You know an ironic thing the missus wants to get rid of one of our air con Units that's playing up.
Now you tell me darling...

Leak testing
20220212_083337.jpg

Ive had to run the floating pick up on the outside of the coil.

But I'm not seeing any bubbles around the bulkhead so I think we're good:)

Thinking of cutting some length off the ends of the temp Twister coil and poking then through my timber collar .

I think this keg might have some dark mild in it next week if all goes to plan:cool:

Edit here is what the coil looks like installed
20220212_084608.jpg

I just pushed some water out 700mm left usually get 2-3lt of trub so happy with that. Just don't want the ball catching on the coil. But def better outside than inside that coil.

Keg lube on them coil ends helped a treat sliding that lid down.

Last edited:
Got the coil in glycol tank in pump hooked up to stc I worked out I can switch 240v on the 12v stc just hooking the live to the hot relay.
Got the probe on the outside until freezer reaches equilibrium
20220212_144934.jpg

Gotta get some hose clamps bit wire is doing the job fine.
20220212_144829.jpg

3/8" bulkheads into male barbed camlock then female.
I'll chuck some water in the keg tomorrow and play fermentation:)

Those are all form A relays in those. Will switch just about anything from ground to 240vac/dc

Got some water in the kegmenter just playing around pretending I'm keeping a set point.

So the glycol resivour was 30c yesterday lunch this morning I measured 17c so by tomorrow morning I'm hoping it'll be 0c or something close then I'll put the probe into the glycol.

I've got a lot of thermal mass there for cooling:cool:.
20220213_064635.jpg

20c I've got the kegmenter at.
Like my Daughter's artwork she's been tagging everything outside with chalk:p.

Got some water in the kegmenter just playing around pretending I'm keeping a set point.

So the glycol resivour was 30c yesterday lunch this morning I measured 17c so by tomorrow morning I'm hoping it'll be 0c or something close then I'll put the probe into the glycol.

I've got a lot of thermal mass there for cooling:cool:.
View attachment 19376
20c I've got the kegmenter at.
Like my Daughter's artwork she's been tagging everything outside with chalk:p.
How many gallons is the glycol reservoir? Mine is about 4 gallons and can get from 60F to 30F in about an hour.

Also be careful going too cold. If you want to regulate at 65F, then 50-55F is more than plenty cold. Too cold and it's harder to regulate cause it gets cold too quickly, even freezing the liquid around the coil.

How many gallons is the glycol reservoir? Mine is about 4 gallons and can get from 60F to 30F in about an hour.

Also be careful going too cold. If you want to regulate at 65F, then 50-55F is more than plenty cold. Too cold and it's harder to regulate cause it gets cold too quickly, even freezing the liquid around the coil.
Cheers mate I rekon I've got 40lt in that 50lt keg.

Cheers that freezer is working to get that keg down :)
It was at 10c this morning got it set to -2
I've been maintaining 16c easily
But want to be able to atleast cash to 2c or thereabouts.

Back