Switching to kegs

Do you prefer bottle or tap (keg)

• Bottle

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Tap(keg)

Votes: 10 90.9%

• Total voters
Definitely some up front costs but seems like everyone is in agreement that it's worth it. I guess I need to start looking into kegging equipment.
Biggest advantage is time. 2-3 hours to bottle 5gal vs 10 minutes to keg it

I still bottle occassionally.
I've also gone through my lazy period by bottling in 1 litre pet bottles :)
Swing tops are also an option.

I would suggest doing some more brews first, to know if you like it, before investing in kegging

Great advice from @Craigerrr
I still bottle after more than 5 years active in this hobby. Just recently, I got kegging gear, and have used it once. Bottling is a process that I will continue to use, even with kegs ready. Find what brings you joy in this hobby. Make sure this is a hobby that you really want to pursue for years to come. After some time, you will figure out if the effort to make your own beer is worth it, or not. Don’t force yourself into more brewing than you can handle.

I bottled for 20+ years before I switched to kegging last year. Currently have a 4 tap keggerator with a couple extra kegs. As much as I am loving the kegs, I never really understood the hate people have for bottling. I would do a lot of the prep work before bottling day, so when the time came I could package a 5 gallon batch and clean up in about 45 minutes.
20240106_112228.jpg

I bottled for 20+ years before I switched to kegging last year. Currently have a 4 tap keggerator with a couple extra kegs. As much as I am loving the kegs, I never really understood the hate people have for bottling. I would do a lot of the prep work before bottling day, so when the time came I could package a 5 gallon batch and clean up in about 45 minutes.
View attachment 29053
The prep time still counts, just cause it's on a different day. Between bottle cleaning, bottling and clean up. 5gallon was about 50 bottles,. 2 hours. Then you had to wait 4+weeks to drink it.

Did it 7 years before switching to kegs. Now it takes 10 minutes to transfer and 10 minutes to clean. Beer is ready in 2 days

I still bottle after 13 years of brewing because:
1. Draft would be too easy to drink
2. I share my beer with friends, so I bottle 12 and 22 ouncers
3 It's not that much work, I bottle on the dishwasher door so there is little mess

The prep time still counts, just cause it's on a different day. Between bottle cleaning, bottling and clean up. 5gallon was about 50 bottles,. 2 hours. Then you had to wait 4+weeks to drink it.

Did it 7 years before switching to kegs. Now it takes 10 minutes to transfer and 10 minutes to clean. Beer is ready in 2 days
I just want to point out that the bottles don't have to be 12oz. Since the beginning - over 12 years now - I've used 1 liter brown bottles with swing-top (EZ-cap) lids. My bottling day process is very efficient and not tedious at all. At this point I have bought a small cannonball keg so I can have the best of both worlds.

If you have a welding store in town, you can exchange once you buy the tank for cheaper and know that it is completely full. The exchange on 5 lbs CO2 was about $14 for me.

I just want to point out that the bottles don't have to be 12oz. Since the beginning - over 12 years now - I've used 1 liter brown bottles with swing-top (EZ-cap) lids. My bottling day process is very efficient and not tedious at all. At this point I have bought a small cannonball keg so I can have the best of both worlds.
Sometimes it is nice to do a half pour with the tap though:)
I used to bottle in 22oz bombers. but it was still a PITA compared to kegging.

I'm on my 3rd brew and bottled my first two with plans to bottle my current. I heard doing a keg is much easier than bottling and was wondering what is needed to make the switch to a keg?
Lots of good suggestions here. I've been kegging for about 30 years now. I started small and now have 8 kegs and 3 5# CO2 tanks. My best advice is to be patient and search places like FB Marketplace and your local Craigslist for deals. There's always someone getting out of the hobby. I once scored 3 kegs, a double regulator, a CO2 bottle, and a host of gear for $160.

Back