Stainless Steel or Brass Valves

Craigerrr

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Obviously stainless is the better choice, but is there any reason that I can't use brass valves for wort?
I have the stainless ball valves I need, but am looking at getting three more 1/2" 3 way ball valves. I can get brass valves super cheap from work (we have them in stock actually). Getting tired of moving hoses around and making a mess while brewing.

Wort is pretty much fine but finished beer is less so. I have some copper tubing in my mash/recirc system and I've never seen any issue. I've used brass ball valves but I have all stainless now.

Obviously stainless is the better choice, but is there any reason that I can't use brass valves for wort?
I have the stainless ball valves I need, but am looking at getting three more 1/2" 3 way ball valves. I can get brass valves super cheap from work (we have them in stock actually). Getting tired of moving hoses around and making a mess while brewing.
Can't think of one. Brass contains some lead, normally, but beer isn't acidic enough to pull any of it in. Besides, once the brass passivates, nothing goes anywhere unless you scratch it or dissolve the coating. I eventually replaced all my brass valves but didn't feel any pressing need to, other than wanting stainless. Check the "Metallurgy" section in the back of "How to Brew" for more technical explanations.

What you might want to look at is the lead-free bronze valve. These are safe for potable water and are cheap and readily available at local hardware stores. There are some brass alloys that are lead free, but most industrial brass valves have 2-4% lead. The lead is needed for machining and working properties.

The bronze valves are usually rated for at least 200 psig at 250 °F. They should work just fine for wort.

Only thing ive "herd" is certain caustic cleaners can do damage to softer metals in the brewery. But i doubt many of us homebrewers use caustic cleaners to clean out our kettles/ tuns on CIP cycles :).

What you might want to look at is the lead-free bronze valve. These are safe for potable water and are cheap and readily available at local hardware stores. There are some brass alloys that are lead free, but most industrial brass valves have 2-4% lead. The lead is needed for machining and working properties.

The bronze valves are usually rated for at least 200 psig at 250 °F. They should work just fine for wort.

I have a lead free bronze valve on the outlet of one of my pumps. No issues here. The rest are stainless, but I was short one valve and the local hardware had the lead free option.

Use all stainless if you can, the few dollars you would save is not worth it

Stainless is a hell of a lot less likely to strip or shear but either should work.

Back