"Spirited Beer"?

DarkVader2

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I was reading about brewing during the Revolutionary War era, and in a cookbook describing how to make small beer for the family came across the following:

. . . The rule is about the same for all beer. Boil the ingredients two or three hours, pour in a half-pint of molasses to a pailful, while the beer is scalding hot. Strain the beer, and when about lukewarm, put a pint of lively yeast to a barrel. Leave the bung loose till the beer is done working; you can ascertain this by observing when the froth subsides. If your family be large, and the beer will be drank rapidly, it may as well remain in the barrel; but if your family be small, fill what bottles you have with it; it keeps better bottled. A raw potato or two, cut up and thrown in, while the ingredients are boiling, is said to make beer spirited.”

make beer spirited.

Any clues about spirited beer? I don't have any.

Obviously, potatoes are mostly complex carbs, but we're past the mash so simple sugars that yeast can process won't be generated.

My guess would be sprited means carbonated.

Maybe so, but I can't figure how the complex carbs in the potatoes that missed the mash step will help the carbonation process that much. Thanks.

Other comments please.

Back