Show me your gardening Progress

image.jpg
Harvested these San Marzano tomatoes while mashing my wheat ale. I picked these ahead of some rain expected later today, and some of these need a little ripening before canning. There are still lots of unripe fruits hanging, and our cherry tomato is full of flowers, so we still might get more of those.

Last edited:
View attachment 26808 Harvested these San Marzano tomatoes while mashing my wheat ale. I picked these ahead of some rain expected later today, and some of these need a little ripening before canning. There are still lots of unripe fruits still still hanging, and our cherry tomato is full of flowers, so we still might get more of those.
Beautiful were starting to pic more now I lined up a couple fecund tomatoes for your humour
20231002_141942.jpg

Not sure what's going on this year with all the nobbles on them.

I've been replanting from seed for a few years maybe thier changing or something

Planted 107 garlic bulbs and a couple thousand seed head bulbs.
Pak Choi and radishes as well today

Isn't it a little early for planting garlic? In NJ I used to wait until Thanksgiving at the earliest. Here in Atlanta I wait until Christmas. My goal is to let it be cold enough that they don't sprout until spring.

Isn't it a little early for planting garlic? In NJ I used to wait until Thanksgiving at the earliest. Here in Atlanta I wait until Christmas. My goal is to let it be cold enough that they don't sprout until spring.
I like to get them established before the cold sets in.
Also, we're in a little micro climate so really zone 5, but the maps say zone 6.
And yes, a little early, but I'll be in Ireland for 10 days and when I get back I don't know when I'll get time again to plant.
I'm sure they'll be just fine.

I like to get them established before the cold sets in.
Also, we're in a little micro climate so really zone 5, but the maps say zone 6.
And yes, a little early, but I'll be in Ireland for 10 days and when I get back I don't know when I'll get time again to plant.
I'm sure they'll be just fine.

Have fun in Ireland, we just got back from a 10 day trip there.

Have fun in Ireland, we just got back from a 10 day trip there.
Me and the missus went in 2016. Stayed 3 weeks doing a tour we planned ourselves with ZERO rushing or scheduling. We did both ROI and NI on the trip, and visited all 10 pubs that got doors made from downed Beech trees along what was part of King’s Road in Game of Thrones (Dark Hedges). Each door was CNC carved in tribute to the major families in GOT. Very cool looking doors. The only thing I didn’t like about the trip was for the 21 days we were there, we were wet 22 of them. (Twice one day). It rained EVERY SINGLE DAY. We wound up giving Ring of Kerry a miss because there were gale force winds, and neither of us was comfortable in the little rental car on single track roads. Some kind of North Atlantic disturbance as luck would have it. Better weather would have made for a much better trip, but it was pretty darn good all the same. Gotta watch out for some of the tourist traps in the towns with well known attractions. One place required exact change for parking(or larger bills if change wasn’t available), but none of the local shops would make change unless you bought something. I figure that was because government took over all the heritage sites and not all the locals were happy about it.

Me and the missus went in 2016. Stayed 3 weeks doing a tour we planned ourselves with ZERO rushing or scheduling. We did both ROI and NI on the trip, and visited all 10 pubs that got doors made from downed Beech trees along what was part of King’s Road in Game of Thrones (Dark Hedges). Each door was CNC carved in tribute to the major families in GOT. Very cool looking doors. The only thing I didn’t like about the trip was for the 21 days we were there, we were wet 22 of them. (Twice one day). It rained EVERY SINGLE DAY. We wound up giving Ring of Kerry a miss because there were gale force winds, and neither of us was comfortable in the little rental car on single track roads. Some kind of North Atlantic disturbance as luck would have it. Better weather would have made for a much better trip, but it was pretty darn good all the same. Gotta watch out for some of the tourist traps in the towns with well known attractions. One place required exact change for parking(or larger bills if change wasn’t available), but none of the local shops would make change unless you bought something. I figure that was because government took over all the heritage sites and not all the locals were happy about it.
We have a group going and hired a driver for the entire trip, so no worries on the driving, parking, drinking, etc. The driver also has ins everywhere we're going, so we get special treatment and the front of the line. The itinerary is loosely planned so we can make decisions as we go.
The first night we're staying in an old Castle, so that should be awesome!

We have a group going and hired a driver for the entire trip, so no worries on the driving, parking, drinking, etc. The driver also has ins everywhere we're going, so we get special treatment and the front of the line. The itinerary is loosely planned so we can make decisions as we go.
The first night we're staying in an old Castle, so that should be awesome!
If you're more than 5'4", DUCK! I left a lot of DNA in the castles in Ireland and Scotland alike. Medieval folks were SHORT. REAL SHORT. I'm 6'1", and I bumped my head in stone doorways more times than I care to remember. Stone makes absolutely no noise when you bump your head on it, but you'll make plenty from the pain it inflicts.

If you're more than 5'4", DUCK! I left a lot of DNA in the castles in Ireland and Scotland alike. Medieval folks were SHORT. REAL SHORT. I'm 6'1", and I bumped my head in stone doorways more times than I care to remember. Stone makes absolutely no noise when you bump your head on it, but you'll make plenty from the pain it inflicts.
OK, warning heeded! Thanks

Planted 107 garlic bulbs and a couple thousand seed head bulbs.
Pak Choi and radishes as well today
This week, my wife bought 3 varieties of garlic from the home and garden shop where she works; 2 different hardneck and 1 softneck varieties. Local experts say to plant garlic here before the end of October, and the plants should be ready to harvest by Independence Day. I need to clear one of our raised beds for that planting. Hard to do when there are still peppers and potatoes producing in that bed.

This week, my wife bought 3 varieties of garlic from the home and garden shop where she works; 2 different hardneck and 1 softneck varieties. Local experts say to plant garlic here before the end of October, and the plants should be ready to harvest by Independence Day. I need to clear one of our raised beds for that planting. Hard to do when there are still peppers and potatoes producing in that bed.
Honestly, just stick it in a flower bed, it'll grow anywhere.
Perimeter, edges, in between....

I've never successfully grown some.
But found some in the compost which I rescued and is growing.

Here's what I've been doing mulching.
I've got bad nut grass so spread some cardboard under Neath
20231004_090735.jpg

Lemonade tree
20231004_090701.jpg

Side garden it had beans and peas gunna plant some corn in there.

Reinforced the compost bays with some cross members to brace it some more for turning the bed over and such
20231004_090811.jpg

I've been replanting from seed for a few years maybe thier changing or something

That is a distinct possibility, I've been doing the same thing and though I never got the nobbie- bits before but genetic drift has happened in my pepper plants...I got round jalapenos and I've got a couple tomato plants that reverted to ox hearts while the others yielded the original fruit.

I have a few hop vines growing. Winter in frozen Minnesota is coming, do I cut them to the ground like I do the Hastas or just let them be, dangling on the vine?

I have a few hop vines growing. Winter in frozen Minnesota is coming, do I cut them to the ground like I do the Hastas or just let them be, dangling on the vine?
Cut them to the ground. The vegetation above ground is a liability for disease.
Just don't forget where they are next spring!

Cut them to the ground. The vegetation above ground is a liability for disease.
Just don't forget where they are next spring!
Don't worry, they'll remind you early!
Cut them down

Back