Refining a recipe for an ESB-style bitter

Maris Otter as a base will give you some of the bready, biscuity, thing without needing much else beside a pound of English Crystal for 5 gallons.
I hope it turns out to your liking. None of us knew exactly what we liked until we played with things a few times. It is part of both the fun and frustration.
I will have an experiment going this weekend with a Belgian yeast probably fermenting a little cooler than I would like.

I just kegged an ESB, going to give it a few days before judging it.
Nice - interested to hear how it turns out. I'm likely to try an ESB recipe with a more traditional grain bill soon (crystal and chocolate at the right % along with Maris Otter), and I'll try some Lyle's per Mr. Heath. I would go ESB next, but I'm interested to try an American amber inspired by Lagunitas' "Censored" beer (which hasn't been brewed by them in over ten years). Funny thing is that beer has some ESB-ish characteristics. Wyeast 1968 is used, Burtonized water, similar grain bill (including a hint of chocolate malt), Similar IBU, though with American hops.

Nice - interested to hear how it turns out. I'm likely to try an ESB recipe with a more traditional grain bill soon (crystal and chocolate at the right % along with Maris Otter), and I'll try some Lyle's per Mr. Heath. I would go ESB next, but I'm interested to try an American amber inspired by Lagunitas' "Censored" beer (which hasn't been brewed by them in over ten years). Funny thing is that beer has some ESB-ish characteristics. Wyeast 1968 is used, Burtonized water, similar grain bill (including a hint of chocolate malt), Similar IBU, though with American hops.
Lagunitas makes/made an Amber?
I am only familiar with their IPA.
They sold 50% to Heineken in 2015, in 2017 they bought the balance. The Lagunitas IPA we get here in Southern Ontario, Canada, is brewed, I believe in the Netherlands.

I think they only make IPA now. They did indeed make an excellent amber (they called it a "copper" ale) prior to all the expansions and transactions (way) back in the day - first brewed in 2001. https://lagunitas.com/beer/censored/
I always thought the story about the name was cool. Lag wanted to call it "The Kronic" because the beer must have reminded them of another famous flower. Federal regulators said "No," and then Lag tried again calling it "Censored," which passed label review.

I have played around with some Crystal hops thanks to a Pre Pro beer from one of the local breweries. That might work as an Ametican hop version. My reading tells me it is a low alpha cross between Cascade and Hallertau. I have used it both in a Pre Pro Lager and a Pre Pro Lager/Porter. I bet it would work with something ESBish.

I have played around with some Crystal hops thanks to a Pre Pro beer from one of the local breweries. That might work as an Ametican hop version. My reading tells me it is a low alpha cross between Cascade and Hallertau. I have used it both in a Pre Pro Lager and a Pre Pro Lager/Porter. I bet it would work with something ESBish.
That's an interesting idea - I'm a huge fan of Hallertau. The Lagunitas Censored actually used Liberty (along with Centennial) as a whirlpool hop with no dry hops. Liberty is closely related to Crystal as an American version of a nobel hop/Hallertau from what I just read. I'll probably dry hop that recipe with Liberty or Crystal on top of the whirlpool hops the recipe calls for (or zero minute boil in my case). I wonder how much of Lagunitas hop choice would have been based on costs/availabilty. I mean for my massive 3 gallon batch I can probably spring for the German stuff. :)

Last edited:

Back