Partial Mash! Why didn't I do this years ago!

Tomorrow's brew, should I be concerned about the DP?
LHBS was out of MO, so I got Golden Promise, but the DP is lower on it (75) than MO (140)...
I have more DME, so if I don't get conversion I can make it up with DME, but I hate surprises on brew day

1701441993735.png

LHBS was out of MO, so I got Golden Promise, but the DP is lower on it (75) than MO (140)...
I have more DME, so if I don't get conversion I can make it up with DME, but I hate surprises on brew day

View attachment 27479
I guess your gunna find out :p

All base grains should easily be able to convert themselves I rekon it'll be fine.

Might just have to extend the mash if conversions not achieved.

View attachment 27479
54 should be plenty. If you're worried, mash a little longer and start a little (5 F) lower.

View attachment 27479
As far as I know, if your DP is above 30 you should be fine.
How do you go from a pre-boil gravity of 1.037 to an OG of 1.060? Are you adding sugar post boil?
My brew on Wednesday (all grain BIAB) went from 1.040 pre-boil to 1.052 OG, after a 60 minute boil.

After taking a closer look, I understand a little better. Your grains are mashed, giving your pre-boil gravity, then your DME goes in the boil. Don’t mind me, I only brewed with DME once, ever. Make it a good brew day, without surprises or other unexpected learning experiences.

Last edited:
As far as I know, if your DP is above 30 you should be fine.
How do you go from a pre-boil gravity of 1.037 to an OG of 1.060? Are you adding sugar post boil?
My brew on Wednesday (all grain BIAB) went from 1.040 pre-boil to 1.052 OG, after a 60 minute boil.

After taking a closer look, I understand a little better. Your grains are mashed, giving your pre-boil gravity, then your DME goes in the boil. Don’t mind me, I only brewed with DME once, ever. Make it a good brew day, without surprises or other unexpected learning experiences.
It was a good brew day thanks Herm, except for having to boil for two hours to get to gravity, not sure how I need up with extra water on there.
I sparge with the basket in place over the kettle, so I didn't realize I had a math problem

It was a good brew day thanks Herm, except for having to boil for two hours to get to gravity, not sure how I need up with extra water on there.
I sparge with the basket in place over the kettle, so I didn't realize I had a math problem
I added the clear sight glass, replacing the stainless pipe up the side. That lets me see how much liquid is in the tank, as long as the pump is off. But I will advise you that the polycarbonate tube might not last a year.

I added the clear sight glass, replacing the stainless pipe up the side. That lets me see how much liquid is in the tank, as long as the pump is off. But I will advise you that the polycarbonate tube might not last a year.
I had the same clear tube, it cracked and leaked on me, and not at a very convenient time. I went back to the original stnls tube

Taking this to another level!
After brewing a Wee Heavy on the weekend using a full volume mash (no sparge), I am asking myself, why haven't I done this before!
I think I am going to start editing my recipes to no sparge as I brew them.
Will start with @Zambi 's Belgian which is up next.

That's not the right one for a brewzilla. Mine is something like 12 mm id. Morebeer had them on sale for $5 some time ago, i bought a couple and have one left. After that, back to stainless.
that is tiny.

Back