New to sour/fruit question

JStockton

Premium Member
Reaction score
I've never felt I had the patience or experience being only a few years into brewing but wanted to try my Hefeweizen as a sour after reading about Kettle Sour. My understanding is it won't affect my brew kettle or glass fermenter.
My understanding is that I mash as normal for Hefe. Cool it down and pour into my 3 gal glass fermenter with something like Omega OLY-605 Lacto for a 'few' days until some sour level that tastes ok is reached.
Pour it back into my kettle, bring to a boil to sterilize and kill the Lacto yeast. Then do I go ahead and add a bit of hop for bitterness like I normally would? It's only .25oz Sterling for a 3 gal batch at 60min for bitterness only. I went with only about 16ibu in my recipe. Would that hop step be not necessary or fight with the new sour profile I reached?
I would then put that boiled product, after chilling, into a new sterile 3 gal fermenter with my Omega Sundew OLY-401. I've used it twice to make a clean beer that I'm going to try to add fruit to. I assume I can just add a couple pounds per gallon of frozen mango that's been 'washed' with star-san and blended up in a sterile blender in secondary and watch for further fermenting. I'm hoping the mango would compliment the sour experiment wheat beer. (Can't really call it Hefeweizen I guess since it's clear and missing the phenolics. HA!)

I've never felt I had the patience or experience being only a few years into brewing but wanted to try my Hefeweizen as a sour after reading about Kettle Sour. My understanding is it won't affect my brew kettle or glass fermenter.
My understanding is that I mash as normal for Hefe. Cool it down and pour into my 3 gal glass fermenter with something like Omega OLY-605 Lacto for a 'few' days until some sour level that tastes ok is reached.
Pour it back into my kettle, bring to a boil to sterilize and kill the Lacto yeast. Then do I go ahead and add a bit of hop for bitterness like I normally would? It's only .25oz Sterling for a 3 gal batch at 60min for bitterness only. I went with only about 16ibu in my recipe. Would that hop step be not necessary or fight with the new sour profile I reached?
I would then put that boiled product, after chilling, into a new sterile 3 gal fermenter with my Omega Sundew OLY-401. I've used it twice to make a clean beer that I'm going to try to add fruit to. I assume I can just add a couple pounds per gallon of frozen mango that's been 'washed' with star-san and blended up in a sterile blender in secondary and watch for further fermenting. I'm hoping the mango would compliment the sour experiment wheat beer. (Can't really call it Hefeweizen I guess since it's clear and missing the phenolics. HA!)
Sounds about right to me from my anecdotal on line readings.

The lacto don't like the Hops so adding them after the souring process sounds spot on to me.

The Mango fruit addition sounds amazing.

Looking forward to how you get on with it.

No, don't pour into your fermenter. Do your mash the same as always. Tranfer into your boil kettle, Then pitch the lacto. Make sure you keep the wort around 90F and let it ride for 24-48 hours. If you have a ph meter, it should get under a ph of 3.

Then when boil it will kill the lacto and you don't poison your fermenter or transfer tubing with that bacteria.

Boiling and hops are done as usual

My advice is similar to Minbari's: sour it in your kettle. The worst sour I made was oxygenated before pitching the lacto bacteria because I poured it into another vessel. The best sours I've made remain in the kettle after a 10 minute boil, chill to 100F, pitch your lacto. I used an over the counter lacto pill from Amazon, Simpson's I think. I opened up one capsule and emptied it in. Then covered the liquid with cling wrap (to keep the environment anaerobic). Wrapped in a towel and put in a cooler for one or two nights, then brought back to the stove and boiled as normal for the rest of the recipe. All hops were added post-bacteria fermentation.

I've never added whole fruit to a beer. I don't think washing with star san is necessary, in fact, it probably won't do anything (you can't sanitize organic, porous materials). If the fruit is frozen that's probably good enough.

The plastic wrap actually floats on the liquid surface, thus excluding air. You dont want your sour to get external bugs in it and turn 'sweet'...

Back