NEIPA transfer plan

the_goat_Birdman

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Doing my first NEIPA, but am worried about oxygenation. For the transfer, I was planning on shoving a tube into my spout on my fermentor and flowing the beer directly into a purged keg through the CO2-in post with my hops in it. I also plan on adding 4g of ascorbic acid with the hops. From there, I will use my floating dip tube after 5 days to transfer the beer into my serving keg. What do yall think?

Hey all,

Doing my first NEIPA, but am worried about oxygenation. For the transfer, I was planning on shoving a tube into my spout on my fermentor and flowing the beer directly into a purged keg through the CO2-in post with my hops in it. I also plan on adding 4g of ascorbic acid with the hops. From there, I will use my floating dip tube after 5 days to transfer the beer into my serving keg. What do yall think?
I think you want to use the liquid post, not the gas post.

Seems like unnecessary effort. Drop the dry hops into the fermenter, and let it rip. Transfer finished beer into the purged serving keg.

But wait for others to comment before taking action!

Seems like unnecessary effort. Drop the dry hops into the fermenter, and let it rip. Transfer finished beer into the purged serving keg.

But wait for others to comment before taking action!
X2. Wouldn't bother with the intermediary step

I kegged Hawkbox's Q2 brew and was thinking of how to pressure transfer into the keg. I thought about transferring in through the liquid-out port but, I have a floating dip tube. So any debris sucked out of the fermentor would be caught on the inside of the mesh cage of the floating dip tube. Then with the first pour it would be flushed back out into the glass. I also didn't want to use the gas-in post because the beer would fall to the bottom of the keg and splash. Probably wouldn't be a problem since the keg was purged with CO2. However, just seemed risky. I ended up removing the keg cover and draining the fermenter in through that opening. I'm still working this procedure out so any advice you guys have would be much appreciated.

I kegged Hawkbox's Q2 brew and was thinking of how to pressure transfer into the keg. I thought about transferring in through the liquid-out port but, I have a floating dip tube. So any debris sucked out of the fermentor would be caught on the inside of the mesh cage of the floating dip tube. Then with the first pour it would be flushed back out into the glass. I also didn't want to use the gas-in post because the beer would fall to the bottom of the keg and splash. Probably wouldn't be a problem since the keg was purged with CO2. However, just seemed risky. I ended up removing the keg cover and draining the fermenter in through that opening. I'm still working this procedure out so any advice you guys have would be much appreciated.
Could add a hose to the bottom on the air post. Just make sure you use a check valve

Ditch the floating dip tube?

Hey all,

If the keg is well purged with co2, I would just drain directly I through the open top of the keg (have done it many times when I had fermenters with spigots). When I did that I would place a hose with co2 trickling into the top of the fermenter (probably over kill) so that co2 would come out as opposed to o2 coming in.

The $100 dollar question is how do you purge your keg?

Get an Allrounder!

If the keg is well purged with co2, I would just drain directly I through the open top of the keg (have done it many times when I had fermenters with spigots). When I did that I would place a hose with co2 trickling into the top of the fermenter (probably over kill) so that co2 would come out as opposed to o2 coming in.

The $100 dollar question is how do you purge your keg?
I pull the little tab on top. I purge 6 times. Always....

You should have the tab open on the prv and attach your co2 gas line to the liquid post and then purge it. I usually purge it for about 5 minutes

For purging, I just pressure up to 30 pounds with CO2 and depressure twice and call it good.

This is not actually purging, you will end up with a mixture of co2 and o2 no matter how many times you repeat.
Co2 is heavier, but the gases will mix each time.
You will end up with less o2 with every vent and re-pressure cycle, but you will never purge all of the o2

To fully purge a keg:
Fill it completely with starsan, completely!
Then push the starsan out with co2
There will be a wee bit of sanitizer left in the bottom, don't worry about that, it will do no harm, and have no effect on the the beer

Consider getting a spare keg for storing sanitizer.

This is the last part of my keg cleaning process, always a cleaned and sanitized keg or three ready to receive beer!

Back