Low ABV Beer

The Brew Mentor

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I'm on a mission to brew a sub-3.2% beer as a regular for the shop. Honestly I'm thinking more like 2.5%.
We have a number of people asking for lighter craft beers.
The lightest one I currently make is a Dark Mild coming in at 3.4%. It's a really nice beer and its great for a specific crowd, but not the majority.
I think the majority is thinking a hop forward beer and that is tricky to not just make hop water.
So I'm looking for some suggestions that would be crowd pleasers.
Thoughts?
Brian

At work they tried an N/A attempt with a Fermintis yeast designed for low alcohol. I say attempt because it came out at 1.2% lol oops
It's getting good reception, and people like the taste more than the N/A beers we buy and resell, but it definitely has flavors of sweet wort instead of finished beer. It's a hop forward recipe, I think they were shooting for a pale ale/IPA style

I got a low alcohol one that should be ready soon. I'll give some feedback it is tasty
It should resemble a Vedett 2.7.

It seems the No - Low Alcohol beers are really in demand.

How are you gunna go about creating this.

I hear Mashing high temp and Short and short boil works as well as choosing a low attenuating yeast strain.

Starting off, I think a richer base malt like Maris Otter. Obviously there'll be a low amount of this and then high mash temperatures as well. Then a quick mash out rise to ~180° .
That should set the the amount of fermentables to my targets.
Some crystal malt should help with adding body and mouthfeel, but not to much as I wouldn't want it sweet.
I may even add some flaked oats after mash out to build a rounder mouthfeel.
Bittering will be low and most hops will go into a hop stand. Not sure if dry hops will be needed.

When I think something drinkable and low alcohol, I automatically think Patersbier/Table Beer/Grisette. However, that is me and may not represent your customers.

Just tasted mine and I like it.
But I'll up the hops a bit more next time

As you know I'm a keen listener of Brulab my mind went to their Low/ NA beer episode

It's a relatively new frontier on the Craft beer scene getting it right seems hard well that's for NA beers low alcohol I've brewed plenty last year on my Gluten free endeavour and piss poor attenuation issues.

Some of the yeasts in them episodes will help

84 % pale ale malt
16 % wheat malt

Galena FWH 34.5 IBU
Saaz 5 min 1.6 IBU
Yeast nutients "nutrivit" 5 min

60 min Mash 65-66 oC

60 min boil

No chill

Brought to OG of 1.031

Voss kveik, minimal amount

I would increase Saaz for a next batch, prob dubbel amount

84 % pale ale malt
16 % wheat malt

Galena FWH 34.5 IBU
Saaz 5 min 1.6 IBU
Yeast nutients "nutrivit" 5 min

60 min Mash 65-66 oC

60 min boil

No chill

Brought to OG of 1.031

Voss kveik, minimal amount

I would increase Saaz for a next batch, prob dubbel amount
Thanks, I do like the idea of the FWH in this. What was the ending gravity? How is the mouthfeel?

I didn't measure FG, but I suppose I can still do that by taking a sample and allowing it to de-gas?
I don't know how to describe mouthfeel, pretty much the same as my other beers.
Taste was a bit more towards a Blonde, than an IPA. Partly to do with the yeast, partly (I suppose) by not using enough hop late in the boil

I'm considering using DME as my base. On such a small beer it would be cost effective.
I could just steep the adjuncts

A mid-size local brewery (Jeckyll) makes a light beer, but it tastes like thin hop water. I think that something to help the mouthfeel is important, and simply adding bitterness and a dry hop leaves the flavor a little harsh. You might also need to adjust the water profile for mouthfeel and hop flavor. Athletic brewing makes an alcohol-free beer that is supposed to be very good, I suspect similar technique could be applied to low ABV. Their process is a 'secret' though.

It's funny how beers change over time.
My low abv was very much like a belgian blonde initially, little sweet, low on hop.
But today, it is close to what I wanted it to be. Sweetness is gone, bit of bitter coming through and just a very easy drinking beer

Thanks, I do like the idea of the FWH in this. What was the ending gravity? How is the mouthfeel?
You could add a small amount of dextrin malt as well as a touch of lactose. Might need to balance out the added sweetness with higher hops?

This is a tough one.

I still haven't measured FG of mine.
Pls confirm I can take a small sample, cover and let stand till no more carbonated and then measure?
Before I finish the lot ;)

I still haven't measured FG of mine.
Pls confirm I can take a small sample, cover and let stand till no more carbonated and then measure?
Before I finish the lot ;)
To decarbonate the hydrometer sample pour some into a glass and then transfer back and forth between two glasses for a couple of go arounds. This will degass the sample.
Then it shouldn't be far off hydrometer calibration temp.

I was thinking of refractometer with correction. Left over last sip or so ;)
My hydrometer will be out anyway as room temperature is still 35 oC

Back