I brewed today!

Great! I haven't brewed outside in quite a while.
I've never brewed inside lol:D.

Always on the Patio though so I'm under cover.

It must be a pretty freeing experience though brewing under the heavens so to speak sorta like skinny dipping at the beach at night time lol:D!

Without asking Josh for permission ;) I decided to brew a standard Bitter this morning. WY1469 on the job.
Troegs Sunshine Pilsner as my reward.

IMG_1198.jpeg

I think you'll like the Apex London.
It's clean and maybe a bit earthy.
A very strong fermenter with good attenuation and high flocculation.
Good to hear. Being a smoked Porter, it’s hard to tell if what I smell is the yeast or the cherry smoked malt. Kinda burnt dirt smell maybe. Scorched earth? Just kidding, but the combination is interesting. Looks like the bubbles have stopped, so I should probably pull a sample to see where it is. If close to FG, drop the temp down to just above freezing and crash the batch.

Good to hear. Being a smoked Porter, it’s hard to tell if what I smell is the yeast or the cherry smoked malt. Kinda burnt dirt smell maybe. Scorched earth? Just kidding, but the combination is interesting. Looks like the bubbles have stopped, so I should probably pull a sample to see where it is. If close to FG, drop the temp down to just above freezing and crash the batch.
Don't forget a D rest, it is still English yeast.

How long for the DR? This is my first English porter. First porter, period.
Duh. Funny thing is that DR temp is the midpoint temperature for the Apex London yeast, which is exactly what the temperature is right now. I can just let it sit a few more days right where it is. I’ll crash it when I remove the trub collection bulb and leave it another week to clarify and get a little natural carbing started. This is the part where I wish I had a pressure rated fermenter. Keeps critters out and good stuff in.

My standard procedure. At least, after attaching a blow-off for the first couple of days. Love it. Also serve from the same keg. So easy.

Yeah, it's going well so far. Just popped it in my DigiBoil and slow cooking it in a water bath at 25C/77F (ambient temp is around 20C/68F) at 28psi as I don't have a way to hold low temperatures steady.

Dr Hans on YouTube pushes the boundary on temps/pressure so I keen to see what happens. He suggests starting at the max recommended temp and using a carbonation calc to figure out the pressure. He seems to have good luck with doing it that way.

And yeah, serving from the same vessel is a massive plus!

Back