Hydrometer Question

CoFlyGuy

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
2 hydrometers and both test the same at 1.010 in tap water at 70 degrees Fahrenheit. Even in beer. What am I doing wrong?

Tap water should be 1.000 at 60F or 68F depending on your hydrometer.

Are you sure you are reading it correctly? Should be reading it right at the meniscus.
Are you sure it is a hydrometer for sugar water?

Lastly, it still reads 1.010 in beer? All beer?

2 hydrometers and both test the same at 1.010 in tap water at 70 degrees Fahrenheit. Even in beer. What am I doing wrong?
She's not working.

Try distilled water it should read 1.000

Your filling the sample jar full?

Tap water should be 1.000 at 60F or 68F depending on your hydrometer.

Are you sure you are reading it correctly? Should be reading it right at the meniscus.
Are you sure it is a hydrometer for sugar water?

Lastly, it still reads 1.010 in beer? All beer?
Yep, although both have read that way. Maybe because I have put them in and then did not spin them.

She's not working.

Try distilled water it should read 1.000

Your filling the sample jar full?

Sample Jar is full. I will have to try distilled water

Yep, although both have read that way. Maybe because I have put them in and then did not spin them.
Spinning them just helps them stay centered so they don't drag on the edge of the graduaded cylinder. It also gets air bubbles off it.

Can you take a picture? In and out of the water?

Spinning them just helps them stay centered so they don't drag on the edge of the graduaded cylinder. It also gets air bubbles off it.

Can you take a picture? In and out of the water?
I will yes, I need to get them out later. I will do it tomorrow as I purchased two more and will be brewing a small batch tomorrow afternoon

Back