Hop Shot

So my recipe has a 90 minute boil using 15ml of hop shot - how does the longer boil affect the IBU/ml?
Even 15mL at 60 minutes, not 90 minutes, will prove to be too bitter (in a 5 gallon batch). I did 10mL at 60 minutes on my last IPA, and I have estimated that the next time I use Hop Shot I'll probably scale back to 6mL at 60 minutes, and add my pellet hops at the very end of boil, or even later as typical.

Even 15mL at 60 minutes, not 90 minutes, will prove to be too bitter (in a 5 gallon batch). I did 10mL at 60 minutes on my last IPA, and I have estimated that the next time I use Hop Shot I'll probably scale back to 6mL at 60 minutes, and add my pellet hops at the very end of boil, or even later as typical.
I am following the Plinian Progeny recipe I received with the kit, and it is calling for 15ml of hop shot at the beginning of a 90 minute boil. Forgot to mention it is also for a 6 gallon batch due to loss from trub/hops from the insane amount of hops in the kit.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/PlinianProgeny.pdf

Tough call you have there. At $90+ for this kit I'd be an awful shame to have the final product too bitter. Maybe a braver soul than I will say 15mL at 90 minutes is a good idea.

Tough call you have there. At $90+ for this kit I'd be an awful shame to have the final product too bitter. Maybe a braver soul than I will say 15mL at 90 minutes is a good idea.
Good advice. Think I will read the reviews of others who have attempted brewing this kit and see if a majority recommend a lesser amount of hop shot.

Back