Hop fabric bags use, and pH meter

Mastoras007

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone
I just received those things from AliExpress.
I have a lot of dirty on my final beer before i throw it away in the toilet (LoL) (many of you will understand the joke)
I buy this bags for hopes, hoping to archive a little bit clearer final product.
but I'm not sure if i will have different results if I use them or not.
Any suggestions?
Also what about dry hop? Can i use those bags after sanitize?
I buy also this ph digital meter, I test my water and show me 7,5-8 eas to cheap 1-2$ should I trust the measurements of this?

IMG_20240422_195708.jpg
IMG_20240422_195932.jpg

Hello everyone
I have a lot of dirty on my final beer before i throw it away in the toilet (LoL) (many of you will understand the joke)
I buy this bags for hopes, hoping to archive a little bit clearer final product.
Any suggestions?
I buy also this ph digital meter, I test my water and show me 7,5-8 eas to cheap 1-2$ should I trust the measurements of this?

View attachment 29162View attachment 29163
I have bags like that. Add long as you clean them and sanitize before reusing, they work great.

Just make sure you keep the test bulb in storage solution.

The pH of starting water has no meaning. The grain's pH will overwhelm anything in the water. It is probably accurate.

The meter measuring 'bulb' must be kept wet forever. It fails if it dries.

I use similar bags. Dry hop use is fine, I dip it in a little starsan, add the hops, and drop it in the fermenter.

Just an extra titbit
The bicarbonates in your water are much more inportant than the pH.
Bicarbonate is a buffer to pH change as they react with acid. Once all bicarbonate has reacted, any extra acid will make the pH drop radically

Theanks for your replys.
I use both of them today bags working great, ph meter show me 6,3 mash ph, it's little bit high i thing.
I had original gravity 1050 (1055 was the recipe)

Theanks for your replys.
I use both of them today bags working great, ph meter show me 6,3 mash ph, it's little bit high i thing.
I had original gravity 1050 (1055 was the recipe)
did that meter come with calibration solution? if you can verify that it is accurate, you might want to use some acid. most mash should be in the area of 5.2-5.5 ph

did that meter come with calibration solution? if you can verify that it is accurate, you might want to use some acid. most mash should be in the area of 5.2-5.5 ph
No i don't calibrate, I through that no need
Should I calibrate it?

No i don't calibrate, I through that no need
Should I calibrate it?
I would at least verify it is accurate. if you adjust your mash based on its readings, would be good to know its right :)

I would at least verify it is accurate. if you adjust your mash based on its readings, would be good to know its right :)
Ye that's the right to do but i have only one calibration set
Any way you r right

Hello everyone
Any suggestions?

View attachment 29162View attachment 29163
My thoughts on the hop bags
Honestly, until you are confident that you have your contamination issues sorted out, I would avoid adding anything new that could possibly lead to infection. In fact I would suggest that you brew something that does not involve dry hopping, and get some successful batches brewed. Use those bags in the kettle, but maybe not the fermenter. If you must use them in the fermenter, you should be boiling them just prior to use to kill anything that may be hanging around.

My thoughts on the hop bags
Honestly, until you are confident that you have your contamination issues sorted out, I would avoid adding anything new that could possibly lead to infection. In fact I would suggest that you brew something that does not involve dry hopping, and get some successful batches brewed. Use those bags in the kettle, but maybe not the fermenter. If you must use them in the fermenter, you should be boiling them just prior to use to kill anything that may be hanging around.
you'r right, this time i have done everything with extreamly causion, if i fail again (infection) i will be sure is not from equipment, it's something ealse i do whrong.
I buy a new bucket, i put bleach 20ml on 18 liters and leave it there for 1 hour, after a very good rinse, next i use starsan give it to many shaking for long time.
almost all my infections was before i dryhop, i'm very sure this time i will not infected, or anyway i will not infected from equipment or dry hop.

you'r right, this time i have done everything with extreamly causion, if i fail again (infection) i will be sure is not from equipment, it's something ealse i do whrong.
I buy a new bucket, i put bleach 20ml on 18 liters and leave it there for 1 hour, after a very good rinse, next i use starsan give it to many shaking for long time.
almost all my infections was before i dryhop, i'm very sure this time i will not infected, or anyway i will not infected from equipment or dry hop.
I wish you good luck!
Let us know wow it turns out!

Back