Help Needed for my 2024 Resolution: Better Efficiency

Water will run through the grain much more quickly if the crush is really course (or not at all) so it sounds like the sep batch was crushed more properly.

If you need more of push to get your own mill. You can buy in bulk! :p. It is easy cheaper that way and since it is not crushed the grain will store for years.
Thanks!
I'm also wondering how many batches it might take me to learn how to get the crush right if I get a mill. Is there a chart for base grains and specialty grains for the grain mill settings for each one?
If I pulverize some, start over; if it isn't crushed enough, run it through again. All I've seen is "I wish I had gotten one sooner!"

I am having problems with Northern Brewer supplying the crushed grain for me.
I just started All-Grain last summer. My first two batches were wonderful!
I tried making the same recipe from Northern Brewer that I made last September.
Last September, the OG was at 1.070
In January, I received a new kit of ingredients. I didn't inspect the grain to see if it was all crushed. I just expected it was because that is what I ordered. I could see some grain was crushed.
The OG turned out to be 1.020. What? Something is wrong! I inspected the post mash grain and it was obvious that the base grain was not crushed.
Northern Brewer sent me a replacement kit, except for the yeast. They made my purchase that and pay for shipping, OUCH!
I inspected this grain before mashing it, and it seemed like some of it was crushed, some of it barely had a dent, and some of it was not even touched.
The OG turned out to be 1.050.
Better, but not like the September batch.
The biggest thing I noticed is when recirculating, and sparging. In the September batch, the water would take some time to go through the grain. In the Jan/Feb batches, the water runs through the grain in seconds rather than minutes. Very little resistance to flow in Jan/Feb.
I'm trying to decide if I need to purchase a grain mill. Most forums talk about purchasing your grain pre-crushed is very inconsistent. I'm experiencing that it makes a big difference.
I have a local homebrew store, and they crush it nicely (and for free) for me, so I have not seen a need for a mill. Yet.

I'd been thinking of making one, but it is low on the list.

If my only option was mail order, I'd get a mill, if only for freshness and the ability to control my crush.

Thanks!
I'm also wondering how many batches it might take me to learn how to get the crush right if I get a mill. Is there a chart for base grains and specialty grains for the grain mill settings for each one?
If I pulverize some, start over; if it isn't crushed enough, run it through again. All I've seen is "I wish I had gotten one sooner!"
When you buy the mill, but a set of feeler gauges. Mine are set for 0.022". But I do BIAB, so you want it very small. You will want to set your crush as small as you can and still not get stuck sparges. Takes a little trial and error

My mill cane with feeler gauges.
I had to play around a bit to get to a setting I like . I still push it through 2 times as i struggled with the grain going through at the setting I wanted.
Biab here as well and I use muscle power for milling ;)

If my only option was mail order, I'd get a mill, if only for freshness and the ability to control my crush.

I agree with Don. In addition to being able to control the crush your brew day isn't dead in the water (literally?) when they send you uncrushed grain. On the other hand, it is an added expense. I only purchased a grain mill (3 roller Monster Mill and love it) after my LHBS (Northern Brewer actually) closed their retail locations. They had a large grain room with two mills. Oh the smells in the grain room were heavenly and I liked the ability to vary my crush and experiment.

I am having problems with Northern Brewer supplying the crushed grain for me.
I just started All-Grain last summer. My first two batches were wonderful!
I tried making the same recipe from Northern Brewer that I made last September.
Last September, the OG was at 1.070
In January, I received a new kit of ingredients. I didn't inspect the grain to see if it was all crushed. I just expected it was because that is what I ordered. I could see some grain was crushed.
The OG turned out to be 1.020. What? Something is wrong! I inspected the post mash grain and it was obvious that the base grain was not crushed.
Northern Brewer sent me a replacement kit, except for the yeast. They made my purchase that and pay for shipping, OUCH!
I inspected this grain before mashing it, and it seemed like some of it was crushed, some of it barely had a dent, and some of it was not even touched.
The OG turned out to be 1.050.
Better, but not like the September batch.
The biggest thing I noticed is when recirculating, and sparging. In the September batch, the water would take some time to go through the grain. In the Jan/Feb batches, the water runs through the grain in seconds rather than minutes. Very little resistance to flow in Jan/Feb.
I'm trying to decide if I need to purchase a grain mill. Most forums talk about purchasing your grain pre-crushed is very inconsistent. I'm experiencing that it makes a big difference.
Sucks that they are inconsistent, but you are ultimately the QC manager in your brewery.
Maybe either switch suppliers, or, as you suggested, get a mill.
Welcome to Brewers Friend!
Brew, learn, repeat!

Thanks!
You mentioned recirculating and sparging, what brewing system do you have?

It does make a difference. I buy mine locally and have it crushed. One of the guys that works up there is super nice and told me he ran it through twice on the last batch because I had Maris Otter and I put in my notes it was BIAB. Gravity was dead on what I expected. Other times I am a little off. The crush does make a difference, but these guys are at least fairly consistant. If you aren't going local, you may want a mill.

Back