Grain percentages wrong

Herm brews

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
ADC2BA2A-441A-44B2-82F2-37AE16E71DAD.png
Yesterday, I created a recipe as an homage to Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA. The original recipe was posted on the AHA site, from which I calculated percentages based on weight in grams. Using a goal OG of 1.066, I entered my grains as percent of grain bill. Interestingly, the weights given by the recipe editor do not match the percentages that I entered. The deviations are small, but not insignificant. For example, 78.2 ounces of Pale 2-row does not equal 81.5% of grain bill, but 79.8%; 13.9 ounces of Munich Light does not equal 13%, but 14.2%; 5.9 ounces of Crystal 75 does not equal 5.5%, but 6%.

My concern in this case is that the higher percentages of Munich Light and Crystal 75 are going to make my beer darker than intended. I already bought and milled the grains.

I am working on an older Apple iPad, if that makes any difference.

It is calculating the percentage by the number of gravity points.

The gravity points contributed by all of the ingredients are totalled, and then the percentages are figured from that. I hope that makes sense!

Thanks @Yooper that makes sense.

When making a copy of a recipe from elsewhere, all the parameters of the original need to be input, then scaled to match my equipment profile. I just did this, and got the percentages to match what I calculated.

Last edited:

Back