Geraniol conversion in dry hop

Starter Hops

Premium Member
Reaction score
One of the latest trends in discussing the magic behind NEIPA is dry hop terpene conversion. It goes like this- the idea is to now start your dry hopping either at high kraussen or at least before the end of primary fermentation completes. The ((british)) yeast will conduct biotransformation of hop geraniol to b-citronellol which lends a stronger citrus aroma in the final product.

So I wanted to know what happens when geraniol extract is added when the dryhops are added. I bought a small 15ml bottle of geraniol on eBay. Careful with this stuff, it smells like straight roses and once on the end of your nose or fingers it seems to stay there a very long time. Back to the beer, I added 3 drops at high kraussen. A sample the next day made my beer awful and simply too flowery. 3 days later I racked to secondary and added 1 lb DME to kick-up fermentation a tad and added my entire dry hop charge (2oz citra, 2oz galaxy, 2oz azacca). 24 hours after the introduction of the dry hops, I can already taste and detect an overall enhancement. That nice dry hop flavor is there, and the flower taste is almost already gone (transformed, or maybe simply masked?).

I think I'm on to something here. Can't wait until the final product.

Interesting. Looking forward to see how this turns out.

The beer is now kegged. Not cold crashed yet, I added a bit of corn sugar to clean things up.

Bottom line, conversion is occurring and I can taste it. Almost ready!

Back