Fun with Isolation

I always told my players that we are going to “control the controllable”. Being honest. Staying away from people when you are sick, protecting others with a face covering are controllable. I mean for how long have people been told to cover when they sneeze? How long have doctors worn masks? Crazy that NOW this stuff is questioned

I think younger generations are going to be learning some lessons we should have, take some lessons from Japan and the rest of Asia and start making masks common when your sick.
I'm hoping to see my mom for Christmas but that is going to mean my wife and I spend most of December in self isolation so I don't put her at risk.
Our executives at work keep talking about going back into the office like normal at some point while we have solved the WFH issue for 90% of our staff, the responsible thing is for those of us who don't need to be there to not be there.
I can tell you Gen Z isn't learning anything. I work at an essential business near a university that's currently open ( they're due to go home just before American Thanksgiving and come back at the end of January) and they are terrible. They mask but still come in to shop in large groups of like 6-8 people, don't distance from another and still are buying (or attempting to but) party sized amounts of beer and hard seltzer. There was a shooting reported a couple months back here in a different part of the city where like 2 people were killed and 11 injured. That was disturbing enough on its own but reportedly happened at a party of like 200+ people. Maybe there's hope for Gen Alpha (my toddler is going to learn about masks as soon as he's old enough) but I've given up on these Zoomers

Well, it isn't just Gen Z because I can tell you the person I was exposed to, is definitely not Gen Z. But your assessment of the activity level is pretty spot on unfortunately. Our local universities are the same way, and all my kids fall into that age group as well. 15-24 age group is the largest hit here in my county. I think part of the problem is this age group isn't or don't show symptoms a large majority of the time, and lets face it. They're kids. I can honestly say, I was young and dumb and would probably be right in there partying with the rest of them given the same circumstances when I was that age. I was invincible then just as they are now. I can't blame em. They're college kids doing what college kids do. Yeah, probably I total lack of respect for everyone else, but my generation was no different.
Our universities are also shutting down at Thanksgiving until after the new year. That was known and told to the students at the start of the school year, so it was and has been anticipated here.
Our local school district is shutting back down to remote learning on the 23rd and it will also be that way till after the new year. In all reality, our public schools k-12 have done an incredible job with covid and tracing and keeping kids in school on a rotating basis. The biggest reason for shutting down has come down to staff and building coverage. The district has gotten to the point where they just can't maintain buildings properly anymore with staff across all positions. Custodians, teachers, office staff, etc.
I can't point fingers and won't. The only finger pointing I will do is to the dumbass who exposed me by not being honest. That shit is 100% avoidable. Especially given that persons age.

Well, it isn't just Gen Z because I can tell you the person I was exposed to, is definitely not Gen Z. But your assessment of the activity level is pretty spot on unfortunately. Our local universities are the same way, and all my kids fall into that age group as well. 15-24 age group is the largest hit here in my county. I think part of the problem is this age group isn't or don't show symptoms a large majority of the time, and lets face it. They're kids. I can honestly say, I was young and dumb and would probably be right in there partying with the rest of them given the same circumstances when I was that age. I was invincible then just as they are now. I can't blame em. They're college kids doing what college kids do. Yeah, probably I total lack of respect for everyone else, but my generation was no different.
Our universities are also shutting down at Thanksgiving until after the new year. That was known and told to the students at the start of the school year, so it was and has been anticipated here.
Our local school district is shutting back down to remote learning on the 23rd and it will also be that way till after the new year. In all reality, our public schools k-12 have done an incredible job with covid and tracing and keeping kids in school on a rotating basis. The biggest reason for shutting down has come down to staff and building coverage. The district has gotten to the point where they just can't maintain buildings properly anymore with staff across all positions. Custodians, teachers, office staff, etc.
I can't point fingers and won't. The only finger pointing I will do is to the dumbass who exposed me by not being honest. That shit is 100% avoidable. Especially given that persons age.
There are definitely offenders in every age group just my observations that college age are the typically the most reckless. I know we all felt invincible at that age. Students pretty much all mask though, can't say that about everyone else. I am sorry for your situation. I have no time for anyone who would knowingly expose others. It's not hard, mask, distance, if you're syptomatic or been exposed isolate and get tested. Hope quarantine goes by fast

There are definitely offenders in every age group just my observations that college age are the typically the most reckless. I know we all felt invincible at that age. Students pretty much all mask though, can't say that about everyone else. I am sorry for your situation. I have no time for anyone who would knowingly expose others. It's not hard, mask, distance, if you're syptomatic or been exposed isolate and get tested. Hope quarantine goes by fast
Kind of a weird feeling for sure hanging out at home just wondering lol. We always figured it would be my wife or daughter who are front line healthcare who would probably be the ones bringing it home. What do ya do. Big learning curve and adjustment for us all.

I can tell you Gen Z isn't learning anything. I work at an essential business near a university that's currently open ( they're due to go home just before American Thanksgiving and come back at the end of January) and they are terrible. They mask but still come in to shop in large groups of like 6-8 people, don't distance from another and still are buying (or attempting to but) party sized amounts of beer and hard seltzer. There was a shooting reported a couple months back here in a different part of the city where like 2 people were killed and 11 injured. That was disturbing enough on its own but reportedly happened at a party of like 200+ people. Maybe there's hope for Gen Alpha (my toddler is going to learn about masks as soon as he's old enough) but I've given up on these Zoomers

I'm largely thinking of my nephews generation, between 8-12 that are seeing how impactful this is and how bad it sucks at an age to be influenced effectively. It may be a vain hope but I hope.

The college students I play hockey with have been pretty good, now hockey is shut down but bars are allowed open. Cause the Rona doesn't spread in bars right?

The old timer bar near my house is terrifying, dozens of guys 50+ in there playing pool and not following any of the rules. We went once a couple months ago to see what it was like for wings and got the hell out of there PDQ.

The college students I play hockey with have been pretty good, now hockey is shut down but bars are allowed open. Cause the Rona doesn't spread in bars right?

The old timer bar near my house is terrifying, dozens of guys 50+ in there playing pool and not following any of the rules. We went once a couple months ago to see what it was like for wings and got the hell out of there PDQ.
As of last night were back to a 10pm curfew at bars and restaurants. Cause Covid doesn't wake up till 10pm. Hockey should be fine as long as there's no body checking, atleast that's what Ontario thinks! Crazy times

Yeah Alberta Covid doesn't wake up until after 11. Our provincial government has been utterly useless the whole time so it isn't helping. Pawning the responsibility off on the cities.

Here in Colorado, we've also got some curfews kicking in. For the most part, we've still been pretty selective of were we go and do. We've done local breweries and the ones we've gone to have done exceptionally well. I have a son who is a skater and he goes and hits the ramps daily weather permitting, but there's no contact there and it's outside. The other son goes to climbing gyms daily, but it's by time slots and limited. He's actually a germophobe even before this and has said he feels safe and that it's run well.

That's good. I wasn't before this started but I might be by the time it ends.

I stumbled on to this thread today & began reading posts from March & April. Everyone concerned about the Economy & how hard it is to be quarantined. Rumors about a Second Wave of infections. As we are about to enter the Third Wave with 250K deaths & 11M infected, it seems kind of quaint.
Our world is in turmoil & the future is uncertain. Our Hobby is an anchor to our sanity but I can only drink so much beer. My normal brewing rate is about 6 batches a year. So far this year I have brewed 9. My neighbors are my best customers but everyone is closeted & my kegs are full.
Meanwhile Aurora schools are on Remote Learning, which is to say supplied Dell laptops & Zoom classes. I have 2 Granddaughters, 1 5 & 1 11, with us & I'm relearning a lot of Math & Science I thought I knew.
Our Grandson lives an hour away & his folks are very concerned about isolation. We try to stay in contact but it ain't easy. In an homage to Nosybears John Prine lyric I sit on the deck & listen to Cat Stephens "Father and Son" while I try to stay positive.
The Queen is in the "Endangered Group". She lost a Kidney last year, has Diabetes & turned 70 this summer. Me, I'm just 72. Dangerous enough.
We stay out of circulation, I realized yesterday that I hadn't been out of the house in 5 days & the car was full of gas from a refill 10/5. I checked the mailbox just now & it's full.
1 bright spot in all this the results of the Presidential Election. New Broom Sweeps Clean. A serious effort to initiate Test, Contact Tracing & Quarantine followed by new Vaccines which won't be available the general public until this time next year.
Stay safe & well until then.

Be safe, my mom is in her 60s and is a paraplegic who had breast cancer surgery last year so I'm very aware of what I may expose her to. We want to visit for Christmas, which means we need to isolate ourselves for 2 weeks before we go up and be very careful on the 500km drive to the farm.

I stumbled on to this thread today & began reading posts from March & April. Everyone concerned about the Economy & how hard it is to be quarantined. Rumors about a Second Wave of infections. As we are about to enter the Third Wave with 250K deaths & 11M infected, it seems kind of quaint.
Our world is in turmoil & the future is uncertain. Our Hobby is an anchor to our sanity but I can only drink so much beer. My normal brewing rate is about 6 batches a year. So far this year I have brewed 9. My neighbors are my best customers but everyone is closeted & my kegs are full.
Meanwhile Aurora schools are on Remote Learning, which is to say supplied Dell laptops & Zoom classes. I have 2 Granddaughters, 1 5 & 1 11, with us & I'm relearning a lot of Math & Science I thought I knew.
Our Grandson lives an hour away & his folks are very concerned about isolation. We try to stay in contact but it ain't easy. In an homage to Nosybears John Prine lyric I sit on the deck & listen to Cat Stephens "Father and Son" while I try to stay positive.
The Queen is in the "Endangered Group". She lost a Kidney last year, has Diabetes & turned 70 this summer. Me, I'm just 72. Dangerous enough.
We stay out of circulation, I realized yesterday that I hadn't been out of the house in 5 days & the car was full of gas from a refill 10/5. I checked the mailbox just now & it's full.
1 bright spot in all this the results of the Presidential Election. New Broom Sweeps Clean. A serious effort to initiate Test, Contact Tracing & Quarantine followed by new Vaccines which won't be available the general public until this time next year.
Stay safe & well until then.
You too. We're pretty much isolated in our bubble containing our daughter, son in law and the grandkids. Both of us are over 60, i weigh a bit more than I should. Hoping for better days.

I'm over 70 and my wife in her late 60s. Our youngest is coming out from St. Louis for about 3 weeks during the holidays and insists on self isolating for 14 days. It really sucks, but we do appreciate her concern. No arguing health matters with her either. She's in the midst of her doctorate studies in International Public Health.

This pandemic has lasted for about a year. If several years ago someone told me that the whole world would live this way, I wouldn't believe it. This all reminds me of the plot of those pandemic movies. I try to stay positive, but it is not easy. My father requires treatment, but he has to wait till the clinic will be able to take him. Currently, he is using medications, but according to the Canadian pharmacy, they only relieve symptoms. All I can do is hope for the best.

Ahhhh the Melanie bot is back!
I say we use the Liar Paradox on it to destroy it!
If "this sentence is false" is true, then it is false, but the sentence states that it is false, and if it is false, then it must be true, but....

Ah. And here I was, thinking that the medical establishment was failing someone. Thanks for the heads up.

Hey now, "The Canadian Pharmacy" is a totally real thing.

Back