finding recipe

cowboy7307

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
when looking for a recipe and i know there is thousands of them, how do you know a true and tried one
seems like any one can put up a recipe ,but never tell us what it came out like or even come close to what it is supposed to be

You could look up David Heath on YouTube, he has a series of videos on brewing to different styles, and a tried and true recipe for each. I have only ever brewed his ESB but it was spot on

Mean Brews helped me when I was first designing some styles. I believe there are a bunch of links to their videos on this site somewhere.
Google and YouTube search some of the recipe styles too. That helped me a lot. Some garbage out there, especially on YouTube, but some good stuff too. No offense to anyone, but many of the professional Brits on YouTube drove me bonkers as they couldn't shut up long enough to explain what they are there to explain.

As to the original question: how to tell if it is any good or not.

Most will be fine. Some have been brewed a lot. Some are rated highly. Some even won awards. I usually sort them by number of times brewed.

Some recipes I brew as they are, but most I adjust a little to account for what ingredients I can get. The LHBS folks help with that too. Others I use as sources for ideas. For example, I wanted a brown ale, so I compared a dozen recipes, figured out what they had in common, and wrote my own version.

Like anything on the interweb, for free, you often get what you paid for.

That being said, @Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews suggestion to find the quarterly brew thread and study those is a good one, as all have been brewed by many of us, with the outcomes discussed here.

Good luck!

Back