Fermentation Temp

Brewer #404298

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hi. Done a few AG brews. Since batch #2 I have been using a refrigerator with a warming wrap and an inkbird. I set it at 70 degrees, but notice it will often be 67 degrees or so. Inkbird defaults to 3 degrees variance. How much should I worry about the variability of the temp? I am mostly doing dark ales and porters.

You can set the Temp variable to less if you want. Just realise that the refrigerator usually has a 5-10 min compressor rest between cycles.

You can calibrate it to get close to the SP as well

Likely it makes very little difference.

Also, the liquid acts as a buffer.
So your air temperature may be fluctuating, your wort temperature much less so

I used to tape the Inkbird probe to the outside of my keg, then wrap that area with a folded wash rag to help insulate the probe from the air inside the fridge and got good results.

Also depending on the volume of beer involved, it can take several hours or perhaps a day or more to effect several degrees of temperature change.

I used to brew outside with water temps as high as 76 F in the hottest days of summer. After I cooled the wort down to about 85F with an immersion coil, I would put it the fridge with my temp set to 64 F. It would take about 24 hours or more for 5 gal to cool down to 64 F. Then I would pitch my dry yeast.

If your temp readings are consistently 3 degrees off after two or three days, you can adjust the amount of deviation as Minbari said, or simply add 3 degrees to your initial setting.

Hi. Done a few AG brews. Since batch #2 I have been using a refrigerator with a warming wrap and an inkbird. I set it at 70 degrees, but notice it will often be 67 degrees or so. Inkbird defaults to 3 degrees variance. How much should I worry about the variability of the temp? I am mostly doing dark ales and porters.
The inkbird can be set to 1 degree variance.

Fridge temperature isn't important, wort/beer temperature is what is important.
I use a bit of reflective bubble wrap taped to the side of the fermenter so the probe is mostly sensing the beer temperature.
1706985129355.png

Sorry. Should have put this in the OP. I have a thermowell that goes down into the center of the liquid so it is just measuring the beer temp, not the inside of the fridge.

Last edited:

Back