Brut Saaz - Yeast Recommendations

Fermentis
S-23 I'm sure is Lager German lager I'm sure it finishes dryer.

34/70 also attenuates pretty good.

If your going for a crisp dry finish use more gypsum to dry it out and make them sazz hops more snappy on the pallet .

more flavors like Stella Artois.
More flavour and Stella artois in the same sentence :rolleyes:

Stella is a lager, so go for a lager yeast or maybe one of those hybrids like lager fermented at ale temperatures

I'm thinking that a diastaticus might also do quite well. Maybe a saison yeast?

The Brut IPA is something I haven't seen in the breweries in a few years, but it was something I enjoyed. When doing some reading last night, it gets dry from an enzyme. I saw a reference to White Labs doing something like that with a French Saison yeast which would make a whole lot of sense, but the style also calls for the beer to be neutral (from what I read, something like an S-05). I assume you would go on the lower end of the Franch Saison yeast to get that? I don't know. If it works, please post something. I would like to do that sometime.

Last edited:
Clarity ferm might help or low carb enzyme- gluco Amylase enzyme might help.

Brut IPA Recipe - Homebrew Beer – Clawhammer Supply
This is one of the links I was reading the other night.
I saw something else using Kviek. I know a lot of y'all like that stuff, but I'm not sold yet. I haven't tried a beer yet made with Kveik that I couldn't make better with a little patience using a different strain. My mind is still open, but I haven't drank a beer yet to change it.

@Buckzilla If you're looking to enhance the flavors in your Brut Saaz recipe and achieve a profile similar to Stella Artois, there are a few yeast recommendations you can consider. Stella Artois is known to use a lager yeast strain, which contributes to its clean and crisp character. Here are a couple of yeast options that you can try:

1. Saflager S-189: This is a popular lager yeast that provides clean fermentation and accentuates hop flavors. It's known for producing a balanced and smooth beer with a slight malty sweetness. Using Saflager S-189 can help you achieve a lager-like profile in your Brut Saaz recipe.

2. White Labs WLP830 German Lager: This liquid yeast strain is commonly used for brewing traditional German lagers. It produces clean and crisp flavors with moderate levels of sulfur, which can enhance the overall character of the beer. This yeast can contribute to a more authentic lager-like taste in your Saaz Brut.
Both of these yeast strains should work well with your all-Saaz recipe and help you achieve a flavorful and well-rounded beer. Remember to adjust your fermentation temperatures according to the yeast's optimal range for the best results. As always, it's a good idea to experiment and find the yeast strain that best suits your taste preferences.

Back