Brewing burnout?

Hawkbox

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone else struggling to get organized to even brew lately? I've brewed maybe 3 times since Christmas and it's felt like a slog each time. Nothing has changed in the work or time involved, I just struggle to find the drive to measure out the grain to even start the brew lately.

It's weird and kind of disconcerting when I take the time to think about it. I used to do it as a relaxing way to burn an afternoon, lately it's felt like a burden. I don't get it.

Anyone else struggling to get organized to even brew lately? I've brewed maybe 3 times since Christmas and it's felt like a slog each time. Nothing has changed in the work or time involved, I just struggle to find the drive to measure out the grain to even start the brew lately.

It's weird and kind of disconcerting when I take the time to think about it. I used to do it as a relaxing way to burn an afternoon, lately it's felt like a burden. I don't get it.
I've talked to several people that have lost their drive all together, I have a mountain of things I can be doing other than work and I just don't feel like it so I can relate

I mean, if its not fun. take a break!

I can relate though. havent done a brew since jan. sometimes you just need to step back and when its fun again, go for it. I have found, for me personally, if I try something new and it tottally falls on its face, I get discouraged. just have to shoot that horse and get back to walkin!

The weird thing is I'm good at it and enjoy it, I just can't seem to get started. Maybe I should just move the stuff to the side and ignore it until the itch gets me again.

I do struggle with this a bit as sometimes... by Friday evening I am exhausted and then I start to fret about the next morning. Once I have brewed then all is good. I have gotten my work friend into brewing so it will be nice to brew with someone else and further hone my brewing skills.

The weird thing is I'm good at it and enjoy it, I just can't seem to get started. Maybe I should just move the stuff to the side and ignore it until the itch gets me again.
exactly. its a hobby. it should be fun................maybe invite some friends over for a brew day. brew, drink and tell stories.

I brew from necessity as part as a hobby.
I look at it like making a meal or a loaf of bread.
Homemade hombrewed beer fresh from the keg man life don't get much better!
Especially when one malts it and kilns it themselves couple that with my latest hop harvest the satisfaction level is Bloody high.

So if I wanna drink the sheer volume of beer I do I better get my arse in front of that kettle and Get The Job done Goggins style or im going broke buying that shit at 10 X the price for half the quality at the store dude!

OK I'll get off my soap stool.

You been at this thing for a long time @Hawkbox you been around the block a time or three I feel you man sometimes it does feel like a chore.

Imagine working in a brewery lol!

Haven't brewed since November. Just bought two beer's worth of ingredients though, so soon.

It can be a slog, cleanup is the worst. Give it a break, they sell beer in cans now...

Haven't brewed since November. Just bought two beer's worth of ingredients though, so soon.

It can be a slog, cleanup is the worst. Give it a break, they sell beer in cans now...
Yeah sometimes thinking about the cleanup is the worst part

Yeah, I'm 2 months past brewing a beer for my daughter's bday. And I've got 2 1-gallon batches downstairs I need to bottle that have been sitting for a bit. So much for testing those new hops...
I let someone borrow my bottling stuff over the winter break, and they gave it back a little dirty. So there's another hurdle to jump through before bottling

I don't mind clean up. Only takes me about 15 minutes.

Clean brew basket
Clean hop spider
The rest of my setup cleans itself

I know this feeling all too well! Typically happens to me every Spetember or so and then I don't tend to brew again until March. This year seems to be the exception! (we must have swapped places!) - No matter how long the hiatus for me, I always came back! I am sure you will too!

Yeah sometimes thinking about the cleanup is the worst part
Buy a bucket blaster I "almost" enjoy cleaning kegs and kettle.

My kettle is pretty much Clean in place I use the recirculation hose to clean all brew day equipment that I dump in the kettle.
Then I draw off the cleaning liquid to bucket and use this to clean the floor down and once the hot water rinse is done I send this onto the floor.

She is sparkly clean once brew days done.

Last edited:
Yeah, I can relate as well.
Gotta brew as I'm out of stock.
Just need to get started and then I'm OK.
In my case, I think it is temperature related. It's just so humid & hot

I enjoy doing just a little at a time the week before I brew. I will get the tools out and make sanitizer one night. I will clean the kettle one night, and I will set up the canopy one night. None of it takes very long, it is just a process.
I want to brew now, but I can't because I work six days a week for the time being and have needed to take on some added chores at home. I enjoyed my beer much more than the stuff I am getting at the store right now. That Belgian was awesome after it sat for a bit.
If you don't want to do it, then don't, it is a hobby.
But, if you do a little at a time the week before without being in a rush, it isn't as much of a struggle.

Well, that really sucks. Maybe time away will help get you reenergized?? But if it's the brewing process that is giving you pause, maybe simplifying brew day might help. Brew smaller batches, order your grain pre-milled, use extract, get rid of unnecessary equipment, don't make starters, etc.

For me, Sunday morning Brew Days are as close to Zen as I get. But my process is so simple, there really isn't much to do.

All the best!

Well, that really sucks. Maybe time away will help get you reenergized?? But if it's the brewing process that is giving you pause, maybe simplifying brew day might help. Brew smaller batches, order your grain pre-milled, use extract, get rid of unnecessary equipment, don't make starters, etc.

For me, Sunday morning Brew Days are as close to Zen as I get. But my process is so simple, there really isn't much to do.

All the best!
Me too, but Saturday. Get up early, stream some tunes, relax, and get done by lunch. BIAB is easy.

I took a year and a half off due to my back, and was very excited to get back at it when I was able. Take a break from it, see how you feel down the road a bit.
Probably continuing to force yourself to get at it will just amplify the way you are feeling right now.

Similar to Ben, I brew so I have beer to drink. I hate spending money on store-bought beer. Sometimes brewing feels like a chore, but I brew very similar beers and can almost auto-pilot the mash salts, strike temp, and hop additions while watching TV or playing video games. Turning my brew days into creative content helps keep me focused and interested as well, but adds about 100% more work to the process if I'm live streaming

Back