BIAB vs. malt pipe using the brewzilla

Simonpyman

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done both methods for the same recipe? How did the beer turn out ? How do you sparge using the bag or do you skip that step?

Curious to get a bag and try it. What are the benefits to BIAB other than it being easier to remove the grains from the wort?

It really is the same process. The vessel is different but essentially the same. Brewzilla give you some flexibility on sparging, whirlpooling, (if you don't run a pump in your stovetop setup). An actual bag in my opinion cleans easier than the malt pipe. I only use my brewzilla for 5 gal batches a few times a year.

I prefer using a brew bag inside the malt pipe. Seems to help keep the debris from reaching the internal pump, gives me a means to squeeze more wort from the grains and helps to clarify the wort after vorlaufing. Clean up is easy enough - rinse out the grains from the empty bag and stick it in the washing machine, then use a sponge to wipe down the malt pipe.

With only a bag, you need the false bottom to prevent the bag from touching the heating element.

I prefer using a brew bag inside the malt pipe. Seems to help keep the debris from reaching the internal pump, gives me a means to squeeze more wort from the grains and helps to clarify the wort after vorlaufing. Clean up is easy enough - rinse out the grains from the empty bag and stick it in the washing machine, then use a sponge to wipe down the malt pipe.
My first brew with an AIO, I used a bag Inside the malt pipe. My second brew was without. I found the bag didn’t make a difference because the grain bed acts as a good filter and the bag was one more thing to wash. Also, I found using the backside of a ladle to press down on the grain in the malt pipe while draining extracts additional wort just like bag squeezing.

The brewzilla has a top cover plate, and I use that to press down. Just gotta be careful as it is hot.

I use an S40 but the premise is the same, I just put the brew bag in the malt pipe and it works a treat. Makes removing the grains so much easier.

Back